4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Touch up paint on Inferno Red Pearl

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011 | 04:27 PM
diggity1234
|
Default Touch up paint on Inferno Red Pearl

Hi All-

I have some small paint chips on my 2010 Dodge Ram Inferno Red Pearl Coat. The chips are smaller than an eraser head, but bother the heck out of me. I think they are down to the primer (whiteish color shows) Could I use touch up paint on this?
If so, do I need to finish it off with a clear coat and buff it?

What would be the steps to using the touch up paint?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-17-2011 | 04:53 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Man, it is really difficult as an amateur to touch up those chips. I am also an amateur and tried unsuccessfully, BUT, I think I could do it better next time.

I used an Air Brush and sprayed the base color on after masking around the chip but the paint build up left a noticeable line.

Next time I'll first fill the chip area with a tube of scratch filler (bondo) and then feather out the base color spray an inch or so. After that, spray a couple coats of clear and feather out another inch or so. Then you can smooth out the feathered clear coat with polishing compound.

What you want to avoid is polishing down the metallic base color because it brings out too much of the metallic and becomes lighter.

Some guys recommend using a syringe and needle to apply the paint. I had no luck with that technique.

GOOD LUCK !

Old 01-17-2011 | 06:25 PM
soldierguy

There are a few products out there that are easy to use and you can get good results. Google "paint chip repair" and you'll see them. Most have a similar process...dab on the paint, then wipe using a blending solution, buff it till it shines, and you're done. It is very easy.

I used one of these products (can't remember which brand) on a Subaru I used to have, and it worked well. I couldn't see the chips after I was done.

Quick Reply: Touch up paint on Inferno Red Pearl