4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door locking

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011 | 11:27 AM
Tuck479
|
Amateur
Default door locking

Hi all, this is probably a stupid question, and I did look through the manual but maybe I missed it. Is there a way to start the truck and then remove the manual key from the remote start key and lock the doors? I can't seem to lock the doors with the key in the ignition, I want to be able to start my truck in the mornings and let it warm up while I go back in the house but I want to lock the doors so someone can't just hop in it and go.

Old 01-18-2011 | 11:59 AM
706jim
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tuck479
Hi all, this is probably a stupid question, and I did look through the manual but maybe I missed it. Is there a way to start the truck and then remove the manual key from the remote start key and lock the doors? I can't seem to lock the doors with the key in the ignition, I want to be able to start my truck in the mornings and let it warm up while I go back in the house but I want to lock the doors so someone can't just hop in it and go.
I'm guessing you have the factory remote start option? If you do have it, you simply start the engine remotely and the doors will automatically lock.
This has been a very useful feature in the summer when I go into a store for groceries and the cat is inside the car inside her cage. The A/C keeps everything cool.

Many cars, including our Honda Civic, won't allow you to lock the doors with the key in the ignition as a safety feature.

So you should just be able to start the truck from the remote and everything will be fine.

Old 01-18-2011 | 02:13 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tuck479

I guess I dont understand your question either. It seems like you want to start the truck using the key, then remove the valet key and lock the doors, is that your question?

Otherwise, the second post explains that the doors automatically lock when you use the remote start.

Old 01-18-2011 | 03:45 PM
USAF1
Professional

My guess is that he doesn't have the remote start or he wouldn't be asking this question....

Old 01-18-2011 | 04:29 PM
Tuck479
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by wmichell227
I guess I dont understand your question either. It seems like you want to start the truck using the key, then remove the valet key and lock the doors, is that your question?

Otherwise, the second post explains that the doors automatically lock when you use the remote start.
Yes, this is exactly right.

Old 01-18-2011 | 04:32 PM
Tuck479
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by USAF1
My guess is that he doesn't have the remote start or he wouldn't be asking this question....
You are right! I do not have the remote start, that would solve this issue if I'd had but I don't, therefore I have to manually (putting the key in the ignition and turning) start the truck, it's at this point that I want to pull out the vallet key, get out of the truck, lock the doors with the Lock button on the drivers door and shut the door with the truck on and all the doors locked, then I can leave the truck on unattended.

Old 01-18-2011 | 05:45 PM
jawsdc
Veteran

if i understand correctly, you don't need the valet key in the remote to start the truck.

Old 01-18-2011 | 06:12 PM
oldjeep
Champion

What he is saying is that he wants to start the truck up. Keep the key from the fob and lock all the doors. (Stop at the grocery store, leave truck running but locked). Then use the actual key to get back into the truck

As far as I know there is no automatic way to do it. You would need to have the EVIC setup to only lock/unlock the drivers door automatically and then push down on the lock pin and shut the door.

The truck disables the interior power lock buttons when the door is open and the truck is running.

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:15 AM
aepowell
Rookie

This is what works for me. lock doors with the botton on the door. With door open start engine. Shut door. Its locked. Don't forget to take out your little hidden key or you can use the extra remote.

Old 01-19-2011 | 08:42 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by aepowell
This is what works for me. lock doors with the botton on the door. With door open start engine. Shut door. Its locked. Don't forget to take out your little hidden key or you can use the extra remote.
Yup, I tried this last night. The only problem was that I set off the alarm when I opened the door with the valet key.

So to the OP, yes your idea works

Quick Reply: door locking