4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

4wd light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 PM
KKG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it to stay lit constantly. Thanks for the info, took putting it in 4Lo and then back to 4 hi and then it worked! Thanks again

Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 PM
lil_jo_25
Rookie

Originally Posted by TDTIPMO
yeah mine used to do that. I had to take it in and the dealer just reset the 4 wheel drive module? Where ever that is. The first stealer said they had to order a new one, but that's a whole other story. I ended up taking it somewhere else and I got it back the same day. My problem was when I had it in 4x4 the light just flashed. It wasn't engaging. So I don't know if it's the exact same problem, but it seems related. Good luck.
I too had the same issue and the dealer had to reset the 4 wheel module and that fixed my issue. What casued it was trying to switch to 4wd while driving. It was after this happened that I found out this was not the way to do it.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 PM
KKG

so you're not supposed to shift on the fly??? don't know about that, that's awfully old school talk.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 AM
lil_jo_25
Rookie

Originally Posted by KKG
so you're not supposed to shift on the fly??? don't know about that, that's awfully old school talk.
In order to get the truck into gear, it must be placed in neutral. You cannot be in gear for it to work. If you don't shift it into neutral, the 4wd light will continue to flash and won't get into gear. There are a few exceptions such as when in acc and rolling under 5 mph and going into neutral, etc.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lil_jo_25
In order to get the truck into gear, it must be placed in neutral. You cannot be in gear for it to work. If you don't shift it into neutral, the 4wd light will continue to flash and won't get into gear. There are a few exceptions such as when in acc and rolling under 5 mph and going into neutral, etc.

You can shift while in motion. This is taken straight from the Owners Manual:

2WD => 4WD LOCK
Rotate the 4WD control switch to the desired position.
Shifts between 2WD and 4WD LOCK can be done with
the vehicle stopped or in motion. With the vehicle in
motion, the transfer case will engage/disengage faster if
you momentarily release the accelerator pedal after turning
the control switch.

It doesn't say you have to take it out of gear. It also says that it will work better if you release the accelerator, which you wouldn't be using if you were in neutral.

Last edited by TDTIPMO; 02-06-2011 at 03:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gOber49 (12-17-2020)
Old 02-06-2011, 12:08 PM
KKG

Yeah it works just fine in motion. I just always let up for a moment or two. I'm pretty sure most brands are advertised to shift on the fly up to 55. If I had to put it in neutral everytime I put it in 4wd I'd mine as well have a manual t-case.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
1RamRunner
Rookie

Could it have anything to do with the wheels being straight? I was parking my truck the other day at the airport and had to use 4wd to pull into the spot. It didn't want to go in or out with the wheels turned.
Jim

Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

I don't think it matters if you wheels are stright or not. That doesn't effect the change in the diff at all. 4 wheel should engage all the same.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Av3rag3_joe
Default You're a King

Originally Posted by depunz
Mine did this a while ago. Dealer said to put it in 4low, then back in 2 wheel, then back in 4 wheel hi and that should take care of it. Worked for mine and another guys here on the forum.
worked like a charm thanks 🤙🤙

Old 09-01-2023, 01:44 AM
$YUPSTER

Originally Posted by depunz
Mine did this a while ago. Dealer said to put it in 4low, then back in 2 wheel, then back in 4 wheel hi and that should take care of it. Worked for mine and another guys here on the forum.
Thanks for the advice. I just fixed the issue.

The following users liked this post:
SHO Rod (09-01-2023)

Quick Reply: 4wd light flashing