4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011 | 01:18 AM
MikeyV311
|
Default Clearance Issue

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 SLT and i'm using it for plowing small driveways. The plow i'm using is a Western Uni-mount 7 1/2' Pro-series. Western has a conversion kit to adapt the old style plow to their new frames which i am also using. My problem is that since the conversion kit hangs an extra 3" down compaired to the newer Ultra-mount plow i am scraping my plow A-frame on the road. I put in a 2.5" leveling kit and a Timbren kit to help with this problem but now my plow is only 3-4" off the ground and i scrape on a few oddly pitched driveways. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions like "put 2.5" lift shocks in" to help with my problem. I only need to lift up 2" or 3". I'm not looking to put a full lift kit on the truck because its only a lease. Also i'm not interested in getting rid of my old plow for a new one so don't suggest that either. And i'm not getting rid of the truck for a 2500. Serious posts only please.

Last edited by MikeyV311; 03-24-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:43 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

Any chance that you can mount the conversion kit upside down?

Many moons ago, I played in the snow - and switching trucks always involved "re-engineering"

Old 03-24-2011 | 07:11 PM
stealthgoat
Professional

Originally Posted by MikeyV311
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 SLT and i'm using it for plowing small driveways. The plow i'm using is a Western Uni-mount 7 1/2' Pro-series. Western has a conversion kit to adapt the old style plow to their new frames which i am also using. My problem is that since the conversion kit hangs an extra 3" down compaired to the newer Ultra-mount plow i am scraping my plow A-frame on the road. I put in a 2.5" leveling kit and a Timbren kit to help with this problem but now my plow is only 3-4" off the ground and i scrape on a few oddly pitched driveways. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions like "put 2.5" lift shocks in" to help with my problem. I only need to lift up 2" or 3". I'm not looking to put a full lift kit on the truck because its only a lease. Also i'm not interested in getting rid of my old plow for a new one so don't suggest that either. And i'm not getting rid of the truck for a 2500. Serious posts only please.
Are you running any kind of a counter balance in the rear? if not, it might give you a little more room up front

Old 03-24-2011 | 09:54 PM
InterpunX
Captain

Maybe airbags for the front, i know they have them for the rear coils but maybe with a bit of research someone will have balloons for the front, that would give you a bit more leverage. Just a suggestion.

Old 03-28-2011 | 11:24 AM
MikeyV311
|

thanks for all your responses guys, keep them comming... i have around 300lbs worth of sand bags at the edge of my bed close to the tailgate and i cant turn it upside down because of the way it fits on the plow frame, kind of a one way only thing. airbags might work but im not looking to spend a fortune on suspension systems and it is only a lease. i heard bilstein shocks are supposed to give u a 2.5" lift but im not sure if it will lift me any higher than i already sit considering the 2.5" leveling kit (spacer on top of the shock) that i already installed... but shocks are pretty cheap maybe 300 for front and rear, any thoughts

Old 03-28-2011 | 02:33 PM
oldjeep
Champion

You have already discounted the only solutions that make any sense.
1) Full size plow on a 1/2 ton - dumb. You should be running a lightweight if anything at all, or using a truck meant to handle a plow (3/4 or 1t)
2) Adapter mount - at least buy the correct mount for the too big plow, sell the old one to someone with a 2008 or older.

Have they got any idea that you are plowing with a lease vehicle?

Old 03-30-2011 | 10:50 AM
MikeyV311
|

They have no idea that im plowing with a lease, that's why I leased it I don't want to beat the **** out of something I own lol... I know the plow is too heavy and I know the conversion kit hangs too low but you can't buy uni-mounts anymore so u have to use the conversion kit. And not to disprespect Rams or anything but I had a 08 Ford F150 with the leveling kit and I had about a foot of clearance and that's a 1/2 ton truck... just looking for a quick fix

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:31 AM
jawsdc
Veteran

We have clearance, Clarence!
(sorry)

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:44 AM
USAF1
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
You have already discounted the only solutions that make any sense.
1) Full size plow on a 1/2 ton - dumb. You should be running a lightweight if anything at all, or using a truck meant to handle a plow (3/4 or 1t)
2) Adapter mount - at least buy the correct mount for the too big plow, sell the old one to someone with a 2008 or older.

Have they got any idea that you are plowing with a lease vehicle?
You seem to have the habit of calling people dumb on this forum. They probably don't appreciate that.

Old 03-30-2011 | 11:57 AM
atthewmartin114
Veteran

turn the torquing bars up it will life the front of the truck. as for having an over sized plow. that a crock of **** i have a only dakota with a 8' fisher as my plow truck i have owned f150s and chevy 1500s and all have had a 8' plow. and even the the 2500 HD i have the 9 1/2 V plow is way to heavy for that. the 8' is actually about 100lbs to heavy for factor specs. my best suggestion is to see of you can rase the A frame. I know with the older plows them has 3 holes for pin location. i would look and see if you can plat the lower sectiona and install a lower hole to gain that few inches of clearance.

Quick Reply: Clearance Issue