4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Heavy Duty to get 6 speed automatic transmission

Old 07-23-2011, 06:09 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
The 66RFE ratios are 3.23, 1.84, 1.41, 1.00, .82, .63, just like the 68RFE...same gears. If your order a 2500 Hemi, you will be forced to upgrade to the 66RFE. And if you choose the 66RFE, you have to upgrade to the hemi. And the 66RFE will not be available in the 1500's, you're stuck with the 65RFE which has the same gears as what you have in your hemi now...3.00, 1.67, 1.50, 1.00, .75, .67. It's just reprogramed to use 2'nd prime (1.50) as 3'rd gear which sucks because they are too close together and does nothing improve your ET...it's a waist.

I have a Cummins, not a silly hemi, and I really don't care about the 66rfe. I was asking about the "new" 6-speed trans for the 2012 Cummins because that's the subject of the headline article and the point of the thread. It just says the Cummins HD trucks will get a "new" 6-speed auto, but doesn't go into any detail about what it is or what the difference is.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:27 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by horatio102
I have a Cummins, not a silly hemi, and I really don't care about the 66rfe. I was asking about the "new" 6-speed trans for the 2012 Cummins because that's the subject of the headline article and the point of the thread. It just says the Cummins HD trucks will get a "new" 6-speed auto, but doesn't go into any detail about what it is or what the difference is.
Actually the headline of the story is about the Ram heavy which does include the silly hemi, lol! But yes it does say that the Cummins has a revised gear box but that is misleading because it's already been revised...is it revised again, I doubt it? Like I said, I think that is misleading because they're not telling you if it was revised again for 2012. I do know that they claim to have improved the 68RFE torque converter and the front suspension on all HD trucks. Unfortunately, the biggest change to the powertrain for the HD is the 6 speed availability with the hemi that wasn't there for the 2011 which doesn't concern you...sorry for the miss understanding. There are also rumors of different gear ratios and rearends but I've seen a lot of miss prints and miss information so I ignore those. I get my info from Chrysler and anyone can do the same by calling the new vehicle information line (866-726-4636). Ask about the new 2012 build info and transmission specifications and they should be able to help you.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM
horatio102
Champion

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
Actually the headline of the story is about the Ram heavy which does include the silly hemi, lol! But yes it does say that the Cummins has a revised gear box but that is misleading because it's already been revised...is it revised again, I doubt it? Like I said, I think that is misleading because they're not telling you if it was revised again for 2012. I do know that they claim to have improved the 68RFE torque converter and the front suspension on all HD trucks. Unfortunately, the biggest change to the powertrain for the HD is the 6 speed availability with the hemi that wasn't there for the 2011 which doesn't concern you...sorry for the miss understanding. There are also rumors of different gear ratios and rearends but I've seen a lot of miss prints and miss information so I ignore those. I get my info from Chrysler and anyone can do the same by calling the new vehicle information line (866-726-4636). Ask about the new 2012 build info and transmission specifications and they should be able to help you.
First line of the article:

The folks at Chrysler's Ram Truck brand have announced that when the 2012 Ram Heavy Duty models hit showrooms later this year, they will feature a new 6-speed automatic transmission for trucks equipped with the power 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

But there's no info on it.

Somewhere else I read something that seemed to indicate that the pickups would be getting an Aisin tranny. Having R&R'd my own 68rfe 3 times (so far) this year, I'm somewhat glad I DON'T have the Aisin as it is (if what I've heard is correct) a couple hundred pounds heavier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Heavy Duty to get 6 speed automatic transmission