4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squeaking brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM
RamTRX
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue. I took it to the dealer they said I needed new breaks and rotors. I have 34,000. Bull****.

I'll get them when I go to the US and install them myself. Junk

Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

If your BRAKES squeak they may need repair before something else BREAKS.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine have squealed for about 20,000 miles. I have even towed this summer with no issues. When it started last Fall I had the dealer look at them during a water pump repair and they said I still had 75% of my pads front and rear and the rotors looked glazed but that was it. They said if I didn't mind it then not to worry about it. I did purchase a new set of Rotors and Pads from the Dealership a couple of months ago when I had some extra money but I haven't put them on yet (the whole set was only $200, so I figured why not, I'll need them eventually). The pads still look fine so I plan on waiting til it really needs it. By the way my truck has 65k and I have the original brakes on it and I tow quite a bit, or I used to. Now I tow more weight but less often!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Patsfan
Professional

Originally Posted by pdavis53
Mine have squealed for about 20,000 miles. I have even towed this summer with no issues. When it started last Fall I had the dealer look at them during a water pump repair and they said I still had 75% of my pads front and rear and the rotors looked glazed but that was it. They said if I didn't mind it then not to worry about it. I did purchase a new set of Rotors and Pads from the Dealership a couple of months ago when I had some extra money but I haven't put them on yet (the whole set was only $200, so I figured why not, I'll need them eventually). The pads still look fine so I plan on waiting til it really needs it. By the way my truck has 65k and I have the original brakes on it and I tow quite a bit, or I used to. Now I tow more weight but less often!
X2, I've got about 63,000 km and they squealed since 20-30k km and lots of pad left. I don't worry about it until they need a change and will defenitely upgrade..

Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 AM
krp2012
Amateur

When u switch pads switch to a high quality ceramic like ADO. The squealing is caused by glaze between the rotor and pad. Basically in a nutshell the pad gets too smooth like glass. From overheating. It transfers film to the rotor an then u get a squeal effect. U can remove the pads and scuff them, and put a buffing wheel on the rotor n it will go away.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krp2012
When u switch pads switch to a high quality ceramic like ADO. The squealing is caused by glaze between the rotor and pad. Basically in a nutshell the pad gets too smooth like glass. From overheating. It transfers film to the rotor an then u get a squeal effect. U can remove the pads and scuff them, and put a buffing wheel on the rotor n it will go away.
Ceramics suck unless you are doing a lot of stop and go or ride your brakes a lot.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 AM
iskybantilus
Professional

my original pads never made any noise, had a caliper hang up at 30k and dodge replaced front brakes. replacement pads started making noises at about 40k and have been doing it for last 7k. have pulled wheels and inspected twice... everything looks fine.

i wont run dodge brakes again thats for sure. between this truck and my caravan the brake dust they make and noises are rediculous.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Interesting. I won't use aftermarket brake pads for the same reasons. It has been a few years since I needed pads on anything but I never had aftermarket pads perform as well as factory.

Last edited by hounddogg; 07-11-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
krp2012
Amateur

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Ceramics suck unless you are doing a lot of stop and go or ride your brakes a lot.
Let me educate you about brakes since you obviously are basing this statement on opinion.

Brakes use friction to stop a car, this creates heat. Heat is what glazes the rotor and causes a swueal. Now. Semi metallic pads use metal flakes to create friction. Which not only creates more heat but wears the rotors more. Ceramic pads have an ceramic film it transfers to the rotor, the friction is created between the two ceramic films rubbing. Ceramics are not abrasive like semi metalic pads. I assume u have purchased ceramics and have been unhappy with them. If u buy a cheap set i.e. 30 dollar pads. Ur wastin ur money.
I do this everday for a living ceramics are NOT for stop and go or ppl who ride their brakes. Please educate yourself before you get into a discussion with a mechanic about brakes.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
coolatc
Rookie
Default ceramic pads

Hey KRP, what aftermarket ceramic pad are you guys installing? I've put two sets of the Autozone brand on my rides and so far they're really quite. Have about 5000 miles on them. These were the Duralast Gold set. Autozone did have cheaper versions, but these supposedly were their best. Have you used these and if so any feedback?

Quick Reply: Squeaking brakes?