4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing Park assist sensors??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011 | 06:14 AM
roadrnnr
|
Rookie
Default Removing Park assist sensors??

I am going to be doing the Bumper swap to the dual exhaust one on my 2011 and I have the Park Assist sensors and was wondering if anybody has ever removed them and what to expect. I tried looking at em from underneath but can't really tell how they come off. At $64 a piece I wanna make sure they come out fairly easy without breaking before I do this.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:07 PM
rarichard

Each sensor is attached using the same style connectors found under the hood. I used a flathead to spread them apart gently. Once you get the wires unplugged, you have to use the flathead again to gently pry out the sensor from the outer ring which it sits in. Make sure you have light and can see the place to press, it should pop right out of the housing from behind the bumper. the trim piece that it sits in is actually mounted from the front and they pinch each other to stay attached to the bumper.

I recommend spraying the underside real well the day before because you'd be suprised how much sand will shake onto you when you wiggle the wires and sensors.

Also, dilectric grease the connectors when you put it back together. While you're under there and the sensors are out, I'd also recommend using that time to wax the bumper while the plastic trim is off to avoid whiting it.

also, definately be careful because there is a clear rubber gasket that sits between the sensor and the housing and flush with the bumper to prevent water from getting anywhere except the face of the senosr. I didn't realize they existed until I noticed one of my sensors looked funny when put back together. Luckily I happened to find it earlier and throw it in my toolbox cause I didn't know what it was but it said bosch on it so obviously it was to something. I didn't know the sensors were bosch units.

Old 09-28-2011 | 08:10 AM
roadrnnr
|
Rookie

Thanks

Quick Reply: Removing Park assist sensors??