4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011 | 11:25 AM
seawind3000
|
Professional
Default Fog lights

Is there a way to keep the foglights on when you switch to hi beam on a 2011 ram sport?? There was a relay you could jump in the 3rd gen's.

Thanks, Mike

Old 09-27-2011 | 12:23 PM
JohnVI
Veteran

Speaking from past experience with this (having done it on my Trailblazer VIA a relay) I would avoid doing this. Not throwing a roadblock your way, just looking out thats all.. If your truck is under warranty, and anything even remotely electronic happens, DODGE will without a doubt, point the finger at any sort of mod in this arena...With that said, i was in the same situation and wanted more light. I used a dodge forum promo code( dont remember off hand) and bought some HID replacement bulbs from Go Recon, and replaced highs, lows, and fogs. The light output of my highs is very bright to the point I dont need the fogs to come on...

I do know there is a mod though, because you can hold the turn signal in the back position and all 4 lights come on..

Old 09-27-2011 | 02:20 PM
frogslinger
Captain

Short answer is probably no. I am not a 4th gen expert by any means, but on most modern vehicles lights etc are no longer controlled by the switches... the switch talks to the (usually BCM) computer via the CANBUS which talks to the (for lack of a better word) relay that runs the lights.

What lights do what when is controlled in the software. You can probably hack the software to do whatever you want... jerryrigging it wit jumpers is not the way to go.

Evidence: your lights staying on for an amount of time you set in the DIC after you shut your truck off/ The way your marker lights come on when you use remote start/ The way your lights come on when it gets dark.

Old 09-27-2011 | 03:38 PM
Nate769
All Star

I see that you are from canada. You run into a road block right away. It is illegal to run your fogs with your high beams, don't ask me why because it does not make sense to me. But I assume it has to with others not being able to tell if your high beams are on or not. But again I have no idea why its just illegal.

Others are correct here, everything is run through the canbus. You "Could" go to the dealer and see if they can switch it for you. Doubt they will because of what I stated above. I would not even advise doing any relay work or rewiring. This system is so sensitive that if it detects one thing wrong, you could be looking at some serious computer messups.

BUT I do have an easy solution, thats coming in the near future. The answer is bullydog tuners. Bullydog is strictly associated with dodge so it has many different features at the click of a button. Things like disabling seat belt minder, or how long your truck goes till the minder comes on. Disable driving lights. And yes turning the fogs on with the high beams.
The only issue right now is bullydog does not have a tune released for the 2011 rams yet. I am waiting on a reply to when that would be. But thats your easiest way to do it without voiding the warranty and having unnecessary wiring.

Hope this helps

Old 09-27-2011 | 07:32 PM
InterpunX
Captain

I never knew that about bullydog. Thats interesting thanks on pointing that out.

Old 09-27-2011 | 07:54 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by InterpunX
I never knew that about bullydog. Thats interesting thanks on pointing that out.
I didn't either until I found one for cheep and bought it.

I should mention too that there is not a 100% guarantee that they will provide the same functions on the tuner GT Gas for the 2011s. They have had them for the rams 06-09 (I had used these functions on my 08) I just assume that they will have the same functions because dodge still uses the same type of computer.

Old 09-28-2011 | 05:57 PM
seawind3000
|
Professional

Thanks for all the in-put. I think I will go with the programmer, when it becomes available for the 11s.

Mike

Old 09-28-2011 | 07:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Not sure about the 4th Gens but the TIPM 3rd Gens ('06+) the country code can be changed under the lights option with the StarScan tool. Depending on country chosen, you will get daytime running lights on/off and fogs on with high on/off. You just have to find the county with the right combination of the two you want.

This would not void warranty obviously since only a dealer has the StarScan (well I have access to one and it's not at a dealer, LOL).

Some dealers will do this for free, some for a fee and others won't touch a country code setting for outside the country you are in for "legality reasons", just depends on the dealer.

On pre-TIPM models you can just run a wire from the high beam relay to the fog light relay...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-28-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2011 | 08:07 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Not sure about the 4th Gens but the TIPM 3rd Gens ('06+) the country code can be changed under the lights option with the StarScan tool. Depending on country chosen, you will get daytime running lights on/off and fogs on with high on/off. You just have to find the county with the right combination of the two you want.

This would not void warranty obviously since only a dealer has the StarScan (well I have access to one and it's not at a dealer, LOL).

Some dealers will do this for free, some for a fee and others won't touch a country code setting for outside the country you are in for "legality reasons", just depends on the dealer.

On pre-TIPM models you can just run a wire from the high beam relay to the fog light relay...
The trick is finding a dealer here in canada that will do it...It would be the way to go, because no it does not void the warranty. Some people have claimed to go to the states to do it because they will do it down there. BUT again Only you guys who live down there would know...

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:31 PM
brettj2408
Captain

if your good with wiring you can wire a relay to control them with high beam power

Quick Reply: Fog lights