4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why??Just have first oil change done two weeks ago, "Oil change due" shows up today

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011 | 05:52 PM
DWBRAM2011
|
Question Why??Just have first oil change done two weeks ago, "Oil change due" shows up today

Hi everyone,

My truck is a 2011 laramie. I just have my first oil change done at 4455 km on Sep 29 at dealership. Today,Oct 16. A message " Oil change due" shows up. I have 5600km on it right now. Did this happen to anyone ? What might be the cause of it ? Should I go back to the dealership to get them change it again ? or just reset it by myself if I could do it.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 10-16-2011 | 06:10 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

They didnt reset it....

Old 10-16-2011 | 07:58 PM
mike2810
Captain

^+
Just reset the reminder. Dealer most likely forgot. No big deal.

Old 10-16-2011 | 08:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah my mom's Journey gets FREE oil changes every 3000 miles for the first three years so at 3000 I picked it up at her house and took it in. I got this whole schpeel from the service advisor how I didn't need to bring it in at exactly 3000 miles and how technologically advanced the vehicle's oil sensors are and how they would go off EVERY time when the oil first started to show break-down and shouldn't be changed until that time, no matter the miles on the oil/filter.

So at like 3280 miles mom calls me in a panic that her oil was bad cause the reminder came on.

It's called a CROCK!!!

Old 10-16-2011 | 09:18 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah my mom's Journey gets FREE oil changes every 3000 miles for the first three years so at 3000 I picked it up at her house and took it in. I got this whole schpeel from the service advisor how I didn't need to bring it in at exactly 3000 miles and how technologically advanced the vehicle's oil sensors are and how they would go off EVERY time when the oil first started to show break-down and shouldn't be changed until that time, no matter the miles on the oil/filter.

So at like 3280 miles mom calls me in a panic that her oil was bad cause the reminder came on.

It's called a CROCK!!!
X2 HAMMER! They also say my EVIC is accurate on MPG!

I don't trust that technology that the computer tells me when my oil change is due...Does the computer do it's own oil analysis to test the viscosity?? I don't think so lol.

Old 10-17-2011 | 12:30 AM
DWBRAM2011
|

Thanks for all the replies above.

The thing is I heard the guy mentioned reset the EVIC , when they are changing the oil. and saw the other guy went into the truck to work on something.

Hope there is nothing wrong and just a bug from the EVIC.

Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2011 | 07:16 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Read your manual on resetting the oil change reminder light. It's an easy thing to do. Doesn't involve the EVIC though. Something like 'turn key on without starting, press gas pedal to floor 3 times, turn key off'.

Rob

Old 10-17-2011 | 07:28 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Read your manual on resetting the oil change reminder light. It's an easy thing to do. Doesn't involve the EVIC though. Something like 'turn key on without starting, press gas pedal to floor 3 times, turn key off'.
Yep, get used to it, mine comes on every 2500 miles regardless. Only takes a fw seconds to reset it. I change it every 5000-6000 miles since it is easy to remember at 5000 mile intervals.

Old 10-17-2011 | 08:46 AM
RAMULAK
Captain

I never just reset any message light. You sure they actually changed the oil at all? Maybe they just reset the message, thinking you wouldn't look at the stick.....Check and see if the oil is dirty. The sensor might actually be working and letting you know it is dirty.
Ya never know these days.... I always change my own oil and always put a date/mileage on the filter. I always tear off the oil filter box top and write the mileage and date on that and throw it into the glove box as a reminder too.

Old 10-21-2011 | 01:20 AM
DWBRAM2011
|

I've noticed their oil change guy is kind of incompetent. They couldn't even find the location of the oil filter for the truck that went in before me. (don't know the year , but sure is a 4th gen) When they do the oil change for my truck , the guy dropped a plug on the ground and couldn't find it. When the other guy add the oil to the engine, I asked is this 5w20 , first he hesitated a bit , then say yes .

All of this above, make me have a weird thought regarding to this engine light thing. what happen if he didn't put 5w20 to my truck ? will this be possible ? does Chrysler use 5w20 for all the model they made ? I mean will the dealership use 1 grade to fit all ? or that depends on different car comes in and they will check the spec then add different grade of oil ( which they didn't do it obviously) .

Last, can anyone tell me what if my weird guess is right, what's the damage to my truck ? or how can i find out if the engine oil in my truck is 5w20 or not ? I never do oil change my self , does anybody know what is that plug for ? I thought only thing they need to replace is the oil filter, is that a plug for the front differential ??why they need to unplug that ??

Many thanks!

Quick Reply: Why??Just have first oil change done two weeks ago, "Oil change due" shows up today