4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah it's getting the stock fan OFF that's the b*tch, I had to build a tool out of a piece of 2x4 and a bolt - think having to wedge a block of wood in to get your lawnmower blade off - same principle. For on - you just spin it back on...

Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Dustinmc15
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a flex a lite 180 in my dakota for years without a problem. I kept the clutch fan in the bed just in case but never needed to use it. I've heard some people say the 3.7 rams use a larger e-fan instead of the clutch fan and that you might be able to swap them, but I'm not sure if that is true or if that fan would provide enough cooling for the hemi.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Think i remember some folks removing the clutch fan, installing a 180-t stat and then using DSP you can set the the temp around 180-185 per the t-stat

Old 12-09-2011, 04:05 AM
Darek117
Rookie

Originally Posted by SLT8
Think i remember some folks removing the clutch fan, installing a 180-t stat and then using DSP you can set the the temp around 180-185 per the t-stat
wonder if it can be done with the Bully Dog as well?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I don't see how a tuner can change the operation of an aftermarket fan controller. First of all, it would have to know what controller is installed, secondly that controller would have to be "talking" to the PCM which isn't the case (controllers work off of a temperature probe).

If you are talking about controlling a thermostat as to when it opens, it's mechanical, so there is no tuner that can do that.

I have a 180* thermostat and just simply set my fan controller to turn on just a couple of degrees before my thermostat opens. It's a dial ****, c'mon guys, you are over-analyzing this!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Darek117
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I don't see how a tuner can change the operation of an aftermarket fan controller. First of all, it would have to know what controller is installed, secondly that controller would have to be "talking" to the PCM which isn't the case (controllers work off of a temperature probe).

If you are talking about controlling a thermostat as to when it opens, it's mechanical, so there is no tuner that can do that.

I have a 180* thermostat and just simply set my fan controller to turn on just a couple of degrees before my thermostat opens. It's a dial ****, c'mon guys, you are over-analyzing this!!!
I hope most people know you cant adjust the t-stat but i did not know that there is a **** on the electrical fan so this is helpful. So what about when you use a fan clutch set up and you put a new t-stat in how would you adjust that? As i have said i am deployed and bought the truck over the phone pretty much so i havent seen it in person and i have a little experience with older motors so this is gonna be a whole new ball game for me.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darek117
I hope most people know you cant adjust the t-stat but i did not know that there is a **** on the electrical fan so this is helpful. So what about when you use a fan clutch set up and you put a new t-stat in how would you adjust that? As i have said i am deployed and bought the truck over the phone pretty much so i havent seen it in person and i have a little experience with older motors so this is gonna be a whole new ball game for me.
I've only used two different e-fan controllers and they both had a temperature control ****, there's probably some out there that are preset I would imagine.

As far as the clutch fan, I don't see how you can control it. It's gonna run at whatever speed the belt that turns it runs and that's 100% dictated by engine rpm, which is why I say you get such a tremendous benefit from an efan in city driving and off-road conditions, on the open highway, not so much...

Old 08-13-2014, 03:38 PM
SMGFATMAN71
Professional

So,I am wondering if anyone with an 09-up ram has removed the clutch fan, and has gotten a flex a lite 183 to work? Results? Im thinking it would have to be on the grill side and act as a puller, due to the electric AC fan on the inside of the Rad.

Quick Reply: E-fan