4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Resetting "oil change due" warning on EVIC

Old 03-09-2012, 09:50 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
It is incredibly irritating that 1) Chrysler went away from the 'choose your own oil change interval via the truck's computer interface' (my prior Jeeps had that feature); and 2) to reset the message you have to jump through non-intuitive hoops like these instructions. WTF??

All the settings and the ability to reset should be back in the EVIC computer with a normal interface (just like changing light turn-off duration). The driver should get the option to choose between the engine oil life sensor and any fixed mileage duration they want to use. Some people like to change oil every 3000 miles (not me). Some use synthetic oil and go 6000 or 8000 miles between changes. Forcing one method on people is ridiculous.

Rob
Rob,

You have some good idea's. The problem is that not everyone has an EVIC.

While I understand the system may not work exactly as everyone would like it to work, I would never have thought this thread would turn into how Chrysler oil change system and instructions need to be re-written. Lets face it, the owners manual is already over 700 pages long, yet we want to add more, maybe have multiple sets of instructions for vehicles with an EVIC and another for those without one?

The original poster was resetting it a little too quick. That is unfortunate, but the problem was rectified in a couple posts. Now we are talking about turning the key on and pressing the gas pedal 3 times is jumping through too many hoops? I don't agree.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Rob,

While I understand the system may not work exactly as everyone would like it to work, I would never have thought this thread would turn into how Chrysler oil change system and instructions need to be re-written. Lets face it, the owners manual is already over 700 pages long, yet we want to add more, maybe have multiple sets of instructions for vehicles with an EVIC and another for those without one?

The original poster was resetting it a little too quick. That is unfortunate, but the problem was rectified in a couple posts. Now we are talking about turning the key on and pressing the gas pedal 3 times is jumping through too many hoops? I don't agree.
I didn't suggest re-writing the manual. I suggested changing to an intuitive process for resetting the warning message. Having it done via the normal EVIC interface in a guided, menu-based manner, just like other vehicle options, would essentially eliminate the need for detailed instructions in the manual. As for everyone not having an EVIC, perhaps that should be standard so things are consistent across all models?

Chrysler had it that way for many years. Why they chose to move to a non-intuitive ("turn key, press gas pedal 3 times" might be 'easy' but is certainly NOT intuitive) process is beyond me. Take a cue from manufacturers that are successful with consumer electronics interfaces (Apple, Microsoft) and find a way to make things simple and intuitive for your customers. Once there, don't go backwards.

Speaking of non-intuitive, I could launch into a lengthy description of how crappy of an interface the 430/RBZ MyGig radio is, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Rob

Old 03-09-2012, 02:30 PM
kddsRam
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oil changer indicator comes on every 2500 miles, regardless of driving style. Has done it since new and have 55k on it now. The indicator takes what, 6 seconds to reset. I change it at 5k intervals anyway, some of us don't sweat the small stuff in life...

Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

I agree with BigBlueEdge. Clearing the oil change reminder should have been programmed into the EVIC. Simple to have done. Next we will be pushing the mirror left button 5 times, turning the key three times, while we push the window lock button to get the truck to start.
EVIC should have all the controls needed. Engineers just don't get it.
Why can't things just be done in a common sense method instead of making the whole thing a mystifying ordeal? I figure someday we will be able to do all this through a smartphone anyway.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Nedrubber

Originally Posted by RAMULAK
I agree with BigBlueEdge. Clearing the oil change reminder should have been programmed into the EVIC. Simple to have done. Next we will be pushing the mirror left button 5 times, turning the key three times, while we push the window lock button to get the truck to start.
EVIC should have all the controls needed. Engineers just don't get it.
Why can't things just be done in a common sense method instead of making the whole thing a mystifying ordeal? I figure someday we will be able to do all this through a smartphone anyway.

I don't think you guys get it. As the Dodge dude said, not everyone has an EVIC. So the way it works now is everyone, regardless of options does it the same way. It's called standardization. Do you really think people would not be on here asking how to reset it if it was done on the EVIC?

As far as making the EVIC standard, that is clueless. So they are going to change wiring harnesses, give everyone an upgraded dash, and reconfigure half the electronics because it is too tough to hit the gas pedal 3 times? Like they are going to spend millions of dollars doing that. According to some posters on here they should also include putting the key in the ignition to the instructions because it doesn't say that either. As far as waiting for the display to come on until you hit the gas pedal, does that really need to be said? It's a computer people. Do you turn on your computer at home and start typing before the screen comes up? One guy has a little trouble resetting the oil change indicater and you guys want the whole car redesigned. Sheesh....

Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Rob,

I'm not going to get in to a discussion about the intuitiveness of the of the EVIC since I suspect there were a number of factors that led to the way it was designed.

This might be rash, but I assume that engineering determined a need to furnish instructions to the end user on how to reset the Oil Change message, especially knowing that many owners will perform their own maintenance. If so, there's a burden upon engineering to ensure the instructions are clear and precise. In this case the original poster did use the owners/user information and was unable to get the function to work correctly. I'm thinking that had the instructions been clearer we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Engineering populations developing their own documentation typically have a great tendency to fail in this regard, especially when validating instructions. That's because they are so close to the design they often take simple things for granted and fail to communicate them. Instructions should always be validated by a neutral, non-technical party.

Regards,
Dusty
2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, dual exhaust, 20” wheels

Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nedrubber
I don't think you guys get it. As the Dodge dude said, not everyone has an EVIC. So the way it works now is everyone, regardless of options does it the same way. It's called standardization. Do you really think people would not be on here asking how to reset it if it was done on the EVIC?

As far as making the EVIC standard, that is clueless. So they are going to change wiring harnesses, give everyone an upgraded dash, and reconfigure half the electronics because it is too tough to hit the gas pedal 3 times? Like they are going to spend millions of dollars doing that. According to some posters on here they should also include putting the key in the ignition to the instructions because it doesn't say that either. As far as waiting for the display to come on until you hit the gas pedal, does that really need to be said? It's a computer people. Do you turn on your computer at home and start typing before the screen comes up? One guy has a little trouble resetting the oil change indicater and you guys want the whole car redesigned. Sheesh....
Overreact much? "want the whole car redesigned"??

You may call it standardization, I call it lowest common denominator. And you know what, if that's the limiting factor (no EVIC in some vehicles) then that's fine to have to find a lowest common denominator. But the process is still not intuitive and that is the real problem here. I guarantee that zero people who have never owned a recent Chrysler would buy a Ram and when the oil change light comes on think "oh, all I have to do to reset this is shut the truck off, turn the key on, wait for the dash to 'boot', then press the gas pedal three times quickly". Not one. Because it doesn't make any sense. There has to be something more intuitive that can be done. I'm no auto designer so I don't have an answer beyond "put it in the EVIC" because that seemed logical to me in my situation (it was good enough for Jeep back in 2000 and 2005 when I owned them - if every 2000 Jeep GC had an EVIC perhaps every 2010 Ram can too?), I'm a user who knows that what they have is poorly done.

Rob

Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Nedrubber

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Overreact much? "want the whole car redesigned"??

You may call it standardization, I call it lowest common denominator. And you know what, if that's the limiting factor (no EVIC in some vehicles) then that's fine to have to find a lowest common denominator. But the process is still not intuitive and that is the real problem here. I guarantee that zero people who have never owned a recent Chrysler would buy a Ram and when the oil change light comes on think "oh, all I have to do to reset this is shut the truck off, turn the key on, wait for the dash to 'boot', then press the gas pedal three times quickly". Not one. Because it doesn't make any sense. There has to be something more intuitive that can be done. I'm no auto designer so I don't have an answer beyond "put it in the EVIC" because that seemed logical to me in my situation (it was good enough for Jeep back in 2000 and 2005 when I owned them - if every 2000 Jeep GC had an EVIC perhaps every 2010 Ram can too?), I'm a user who knows that what they have is poorly done.

Rob
How hard is it to read the owners manual? Not intuitive enough to do that? I can find hundreds of posts on here from people who have an EVIC which tells them how to set personal setting and is very intuative. Guess what? They still post they cannot figure it out or where to go to set their preferences. Tell me what manufacturers oil light reset process is easier. Because my Ford and Honda cannot even be done with one hand.

If you think putting new dashes and wiring harnesses to make all the vehicles the same is not a big redesign then you have no idea how a car is built, because changing a wiring harness touches every part of the vehicle from front to back.

Stop making a federal case out of an oil change. No matter how you break it down, no one way will be able to be figured out by everyone. It's that simple. Peace brother, I am done here.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

Well maybe they (auto manufacturers) need to figure out how to, once the oil is changed, the reminder light goes out automatically. Heck, it comes on automatically. Then we wouldn't need to have it in the manual and we wouldn't need to look it up. Then the rest of us stupid people wouldn't need to come onto the forums and ask stupid questions, or listen to other people call us stupid......

Old 03-13-2012, 01:22 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Its to get people to change oil. So many let it go many miles past due. If you use the proper oil all you need to do is use the message system that is provided.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resetting "oil change due" warning on EVIC