4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Annoying front end squeak..ugh

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Annoying front end squeak..ugh

Did some searching around and couldn't find an answer...

I have a 2009 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7...has just over 29k on it. I installed bilsteins in december and have just over 4k on the new bilstein 5100 struts. About 3k ago I noticed an unbearable squeak coming from the front end (only when driving) over bumps in the road. I can only hear the squeak w/ the windows down. I like driving w/ the windows down now that it's warming up ... but it's not super loud but high pitch enough to where I can hear it no matter how loud the radio is.

I took it to the dealer they claimed "body mounts". I don't buy that after inspecting them myself they look fine... but either way they said they'd replace under warranty (still on back order apparently, over a month and ticking)

I read on multiple things online that it could be the coil spring rubbing on the strut tower since the spring is compressed more now that I have my bilsteins set at 2.8" setting...I got to look tomorrow when I get back to the truck.

I've also read that if the sway bar bushings were over tightened that it can cause a high pitch squeak...anyone have any knowledge on this? I did the bilstein install myself...

The squeak is so bad that if I can't figure it out that I think a trade in is very possible in the near future...it's getting on my nerves that bad!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

Here's a video I posted on you tube in regards to my cat back exhaust.... but if you listen right at 37-38seconds you can here that slight squeak..not the best video but all I have as of right now. Turn it up as it's faint bc the camera was far away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7NBMAW1tkc

Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 PM
jnram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny you say that.

I got this annoying whining noise coming from the passenger side in my truck. I've tried and tried to mute it out by turning up the radio, rolling down the windows, wearing ear plugs, but I still hear it. It's the darndest thing... and majorly annoying.

Funny thing is though, when my wife isn't in the truck, I can't hear it at all.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Mahadigus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jnram
It's funny you say that.

I got this annoying whining noise coming from the passenger side in my truck. I've tried and tried to mute it out by turning up the radio, rolling down the windows, wearing ear plugs, but I still hear it. It's the darndest thing... and majorly annoying.

Funny thing is though, when my wife isn't in the truck, I can't hear it at all.

Bahahahaha so true man......

In regards to the squeak start spraying a white lithium type grease on one bushing at a time and them drive it that will help narrow it down....I have replaced many ram strut towers for a squeak as well...hope this helps a bit

Old 03-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Thanks Mahadigus, I'll go and buy some white lithium grease since I don't think I have any in the shed and see what I find. Hopefully it's something stupid and simple...

Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you have the RRT for hood squeak performed? i had a similar problem, especially with the windows down. my dealer told me it was the hood but i was very doubtful. i was surprised that it resolved the problem. that was over a year ago.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, I used to always hear an annoying whine out of my passenger side too, got a divorce and it went away.

Squeeks are usually bushings, so I'd start there...

Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

I never had an RRT done for the hood squeak... I'll call the dealer when i get back in town. Hopefuloy that's it!

Hammer, i started spraying bushings w/ white lithium grease and no luck as of yet. Spraying a few at a time.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two Service bulletin numbers to help you out:
RRT 09-029--inspect for hood squeak
TSB 23-006-10

Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jawsdc
Two Service bulletin numbers to help you out:
RRT 09-029--inspect for hood squeak
TSB 23-006-10
Thanks for the TSB/RRT numbers, I'll bring those to the dealer. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed. It doesn't seem like it's going to be the hood... But you never know!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

going to call the dealer tomorrow and see when they can squeeze me in to check everything out...I looked at the hood myself..and the hood was a little loose had about 1/4" of wiggle in it. So I twisted the hood mounts 1/2" turn and it's nice and tight but still the squeaking.

I did notice the shock on the passenger side was leaking a little bit when it was fully open and resting but I don't think that's the issue to the squeaking, just a separate issue in itself I guess...

Quick Reply: Annoying front end squeak..ugh