4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another 115V outlet question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012 | 10:40 PM
klpi2010

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here. I have a related question I would like to ask all of you. It's not for a Ram though; It's for a 1st Gen Durango. Hope it's ok as I am a little unsure of the rules.

I have a 4 gauge power wire running to the factory storage bin behind the 2nd row seats (I don't have a 3rd row seat). In that compartment, I have 2 car amplifiers running a total of 1100 watts rms (95 amps). I am planning to install a small power inverter (400 watts continuous) to bring that total to 1500 watts (145 amps).

I have a 100 amp fuse currently off the 4 gauge wire near the battery and planning to change that to 200 amp fuse that I had. I am also going to use a power distribution block to split to the amps and inverter. Also, I am routing a separate 4 gauge wire for the ground on the inverter.

Anyway, my questions are:
Will the existing 4 gauge wire be safe enough to run the small inverter with the amps?
Should I run a separate power wire for the inverter?
Are there any other things I should take into consideration?

I do get the lights slightly dimming when bass hits when I totally turn up the radio loud as well.

The alternator is 136 amps and all power and ground from factory is still original but in great shape.

I also have some additional driving lights attached to my grill guard on a separate switch (I forget the wattage).

Any input you can give me would be awesome!

Quick Reply: Another 115V outlet question