4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012 | 09:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I've owned three Ford trucks - '84 F150 4.9L I6, '93 F250 7.3L diesel and a '97 F150 5.4.

First one I bought new, had three years with nary an issue. Second I bought used - had to have the rear end rebuilt with 71k miles on it. The thing also absolutely ate front end suspension parts. The third one, bought new had a piston crack and the engine blew at 14k miles - but the rear end was still ok, LOL.

Two Rams, both bought new - '98 which I traded in with 68k on it. Current '04 which has 54k on it. Never a rear end issue to date.

MY personal track record says about the opposite of what your Furd buddies say...

Old 06-07-2012 | 03:23 PM
huntergreen
Professional

2011 and 12s are snapping driveshafts when the rear end stops. might be low fluid or the other problems mentioned here. seen enough on forums to think there may be a problem on the 1500s.

Old 06-07-2012 | 03:45 PM
jaflowers
Professional

My 09 Ram 1500 4x4 with 3.92 rear end had almost 90,000 miles on it now. It's been off road a bit, pulled a few trailers weighing in at over 7,000 pounds on trips over 1,000 miles and hauled my small boat around alot. I've had the rear end serviced 2 times and I've never had a bit of trouble from it. Been a great truck overall.

Old 06-07-2012 | 11:30 PM
Nate769
|
All Star

Ya, talked to these guys again and no matter how hard I tried I could not get them to release where they saw these trucks! I've been searching all over the net and all I could find was that pinion nut. Which have been recalled anyways, and was just issues on the 09s and the earlier 10s. Some late 10s had that issue but we also recalled if they were build along a certain timeline. So in all reality I am not that worried now haha.

I think these guys are just over-exaggerating haha. It is kind of fun to fight with these guys tho, no matter how hard I try to fight I can't get them away!

Old 06-08-2012 | 12:06 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Nate769
Ya, talked to these guys again and no matter how hard I tried I could not get them to release where they saw these trucks! I've been searching all over the net and all I could find was that pinion nut. Which have been recalled anyways, and was just issues on the 09s and the earlier 10s. Some late 10s had that issue but we also recalled if they were build along a certain timeline. So in all reality I am not that worried now haha.

I think these guys are just over-exaggerating haha. It is kind of fun to fight with these guys tho, no matter how hard I try to fight I can't get them away!
Careful Nate, those furd guys will bring you down to their level of ignorance and beat you to death with it...lol. It dosent surprise me at all what furd people will tell you. What i CAN tell you, is that their ego`s exceed their talent by quite a far margin just like their trucks do. Yeeeup, i owned a furd truck just once, then i woke up and the nightmare`s went away after i sold it.

Old 06-08-2012 | 07:57 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I read the Ford forumns some. I can't believe what kind of money they pay for those trucks. Some with ecoboost 6 cylinders and King/Harley this and that are TWICE what a Quad Cap Hemi Express is. I shopped Ford and G.M. and Rams for 3 or more months. Kept going back to the Ram. There's a lot of grumbles about lag,hesitation,jerky shifting,auto trans failures and such. Seems way more issues posted then on the Dodge sites.

Old 06-08-2012 | 02:10 PM
naturecannon

Originally Posted by Doc Fluty
Who in the heck sees 3-4 of anything with the rear ends laying in a ditch?

I think its a little bit of hyperbole.
Exactly!!

Way over exaggerated and FOS.

Old 06-08-2012 | 03:06 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

There not in a ditch. They are on the side of road in the emergency lane with the drive-shaft broken loose at the differential and on the ground. Plus a big oil smear under the tuck at the differential. I've seen one. I've aslo seen several Nissan whatever pickups over the last few years in the same mess.

Old 06-08-2012 | 07:22 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

Its a good thing all this crap about Dodge is BS as dumb as the guys are in the service dept where I bought my first Ram!!! Absolutley pathetic. Lie to you, come up with some bull **** story and gets p---ed when you tell them they're dumber than than a lugnut!!! LOL Oh, a lugnut is the most dispensible piece on a race car!!

Old 06-15-2012 | 11:48 AM
mr.coon

Originally Posted by LVRR
I believe Chrysler had a recall on the rear for the Ram for 2010 or 2011, it had a problem with the pinion nut coming loose and several Ram owners dropped the driveshaft because of it.

You should ask those Ford owners about all those transmission failures they are having with vehicles with less than 5k miles on them.
the pinion nut thing happened to me. my truck is an 2009. i am over it though. i heard the whine and couldn't get around to seeing about it because of work. luckily when she blew i was near a gravel parking lot and skid off into it. the guys at the dealership admitted to having seen this before. apparently the drunk and high union workers aren't torquing the nut right, or the drunk and high robot isn't doing its job right all the time.

Quick Reply: Ram rear end?