4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 5.7 Hemi Engine Knock, very embarrasing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM
bluedodgeram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 5.7 Hemi Engine Tick/knock, very embarrasing.

Hello everyone, I'm just looking to see if anyone knows about this engine noise that I have. When I first start the truck, the engine starts up quiet, and smooth as it rpm's rise, then as the engine idles down, you hear the tick, pause tick, tick, tick, then the tick comes once in a while, then quietens out, sounds as someone dropping marbles in the block, but as the engine temp. rises. Hopefully this isn't an issue, when the weather gets colder the tick/knock seems louder, hopefully a Chrysler engineer can answer my question, for the knock is annoying and embrassing at the same time. It would definately drive away future Dodge Ram owners to another Manufacturer.

Last edited by bluedodgeram; 07-30-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluedodgeram
Hello everyone, I'm just looking to see if anyone knows about this engine noise that I have. When I first start the truck, the engine starts up quiet, and smooth as it rpm's rise, then as the engine idles down, you hear the knock, pause knock, knock, knock, then the knock comes once in a while, then quietens out, as the engine temp. rises. Hopefully this isn't an issue, when the weather gets colder the knock seems louder, hopefully a Chrysler engineer can answer my question, for the knock is annoying and embrassing at the same time. It would definately drive away future Dodge Ram owners to another Manufacturer.
Do a search on these forums for Manifold bolts. Apparently some guys have issues with them breaking and it causes loud knocking. I have never heard a ram that has this, so it must be on a select few rams. Or those that drive them hard.

There also is something called the illusive hemi "tick" I hear it in my truck but its not all the time and I do believe its only when the engine is warm. If I remember right. But this is not much of a knock, its quiet, but enough to hear if your standing next to it. Also I can hear it through my exhaust if I am standing behind it. At first I thought it was something wrong, but as others stated its just in the Hemi. It is the way the hemi is built that causes it to "tick". It was worse on my 07, but I can still tell its there on my 2011. It has done it since I bought it with 5kms on it, so I doubt its broken manifold bolts.

It could have something to do with the fuel I put in too. I have heard rumors that the hemi was designed on 91 octane, I only put 89 in. I don't see much a power/fuel mileage difference if I put 91 in. If it were tuned I might see a difference but I don't so I won't spend the extra 20 bucks a tank to put 91 in. 89 is the minimum as the manual says so I will stick to that! Could be interesting if the tick goes away when mid-grade fuel is used tho...:S

Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
bmrkidd

Sounds like what mine was doing. It was manifold bolts as mentioned above. Had it replaced yesterday and the sound is gone.......

Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 AM
oldjeep
Champion

What oil weight/brand are you using?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Exhaust manifold bolts. Be sure they replace ALL of them unless you are fond of repeat trips to the dealer.
Ask me how I know

Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 PM
bluedodgeram
Rookie
Talking 5w20 Castrol Edge Synthetic.

I did change my oil to 5w20 castrol edge synthetic, and installed a wix oil filter from UAP/NAPA, and filled the crankcase to the safe level on the dipstick. All should be okay. I'm going to get my intake manifold and exhaust manifold bolts checked out by the dealer, hopefully this will cure the noise issue. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Supposedly the exhaust studs are not an issue on the 2011's but its worth a check. Also worth not wasting money on fancy oil, the regular non synthetic 5w20 is fine.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 AM
LVRR
Veteran

Crazy as it may seem I have read, on this forum or one of the others, that certain oil filters and certain synthetic oils can also cause a tapping or ticking noise.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Its not oil. Its filters on cold start. I used Wix and had lifter noise on cold start. Not so with a factory,Pure1 or a Mobil,K&N. Disappointed in WIX. Had it happen with two them. In fact I got in touch with WIX. They wanted me to send them one I had a issue with. My bad. Never did.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The earlier model 5.7s had/have exh manifold bolt issues also. Plenty of threads on it. When I took them off and added LT headers on I replaced them with Grade 8s and anti seize and never another issue

Quick Reply: 2011 5.7 Hemi Engine Knock, very embarrasing.