4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced engine coolant sensor on my '09 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012 | 07:21 PM
BullyT
|
Professional
Default Replaced engine coolant sensor on my '09 Hemi

My temperature gauge has been acting up for a while, and I've also had an intermittent check engine light come on. Did a scan and it indicated a cooling system issue. I was amazed at the reasonable cost for an engine coolant sensor from the dealer...$8.25. Mind you, I'm used to buying parts for a 7-Series BMW but I was really surprised how inexpensive the sensor was.

Anyway, installation is a snap and with the new sensor in place the temp gauge is working perfectly. Also, no check engine light. Still not sure if the two are related, but so far so good.

If anybody else needs to do this, the only caution is...wait until the engine is cool! I got impatient and tried to remove the sensor when the engine was still warm - dumb - and hot coolant started bubbling out.

Old 10-18-2012 | 08:31 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

had my T-stat and sensor replaced under the max care warranty

Old 10-19-2012 | 10:48 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by BullyT
My temperature gauge has been acting up for a while, and I've also had an intermittent check engine light come on. Did a scan and it indicated a cooling system issue. I was amazed at the reasonable cost for an engine coolant sensor from the dealer...$8.25. Mind you, I'm used to buying parts for a 7-Series BMW but I was really surprised how inexpensive the sensor was.

Anyway, installation is a snap and with the new sensor in place the temp gauge is working perfectly. Also, no check engine light. Still not sure if the two are related, but so far so good.

If anybody else needs to do this, the only caution is...wait until the engine is cool! I got impatient and tried to remove the sensor when the engine was still warm - dumb - and hot coolant started bubbling out.
Bully,

I hope the sensor solves the issue.

Old 10-19-2012 | 04:51 PM
BullyT
|
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Bully,

I hope the sensor solves the issue.
So far, so good. I drive a lot and have put on over 600 km (350 miles) in the past couple of days since changing the sensor. Temperature gauge appears to be working perfectly. And no check engine light. I have to say I am impressed with dealer pricing on parts...oil filters, spark plugs, and now the coolant sensor. All fairly priced.

Old 10-22-2012 | 08:47 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by BullyT
So far, so good. I drive a lot and have put on over 600 km (350 miles) in the past couple of days since changing the sensor. Temperature gauge appears to be working perfectly. And no check engine light. I have to say I am impressed with dealer pricing on parts...oil filters, spark plugs, and now the coolant sensor. All fairly priced.

Glad to hear it.

Quick Reply: Replaced engine coolant sensor on my '09 Hemi