4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

4.7L preformance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 PM
otownhilbilly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7L preformance upgrades?

i have been looking around and tho i'm sure its here somewhere, i cant find much info on 4.7L performance upgrades that work. i just bought an '09 1500 regular cab short bed 4x4 that i love, and i am not un-happy with the perforance, but could always use more .

tuners: superchips claims 46-61 hp & 51-66 ft/lbs depending on the tune. they have dyno sheets on their site, but that seems like an incredible amout for a gas engine tuner, esp when everyone else claims about 20hp. anyone have any experience with this??

CAI: not too many options for the 4.7, i have narrowed it down to AirAid or K&N. the AirAid looks a bit nicer and claims 18hp and 29ft/lbs.

throttle body spacer: here is where i have run into a dead end, i cant find much on power gains with one. anybody put one onto their 4.7L? is it worth the money?

i am kinda astonised at the apparent amount of bolt-on power for this engine. 79hp and 95ft/lbs for @ $800??? throw on a cat-back system and possibly a TB spacer and prolly have 90 extra hp from stock?? is this engine that de-tuned at the factory or are these fake numbers? any info is appreciated.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Avoram

Hi, I also have the 4.7 in a regular cab, and have just put in the 91 tune from superchips (1 week ago). I did a series of 0-60 test before tuning it (esp on, just letting the brake go and hitting it, half tank), with the absolute best of 7.9 (a little downhill), and an average of 8.2 sec.

With the 91 tune the average is 7.5 which I'm very pleased with. I had a 6.9 in the same downhill, but I may stopped the clock a little early, so that value is not in. Preatty cold weather, 8 C, so that probably helped a little. And it have the 3.92 w/lsd.

The harder gearchange will probably also contribute to the faster times above.

It dosen't seem to fully hit the dyno chart, I was expecting more from 3000 rpms and up, but it's more like it now have more power in the low rpms, 2 - 3000, which is very ok in daily driving. Maybe the topend is some masked by the low. All in all very happy with the tune.

In addition I got a little more harder sound when driving. Excluding superchips the car is stock as far as I know.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Originally Posted by otownhilbilly
i have been looking around and tho i'm sure its here somewhere, i cant find much info on 4.7L performance upgrades that work. i just bought an '09 1500 regular cab short bed 4x4 that i love, and i am not un-happy with the perforance, but could always use more .

tuners: superchips claims 46-61 hp & 51-66 ft/lbs depending on the tune. they have dyno sheets on their site, but that seems like an incredible amout for a gas engine tuner, esp when everyone else claims about 20hp. anyone have any experience with this??

CAI: not too many options for the 4.7, i have narrowed it down to AirAid or K&N. the AirAid looks a bit nicer and claims 18hp and 29ft/lbs.

throttle body spacer: here is where i have run into a dead end, i cant find much on power gains with one. anybody put one onto their 4.7L? is it worth the money?

i am kinda astonised at the apparent amount of bolt-on power for this engine. 79hp and 95ft/lbs for @ $800??? throw on a cat-back system and possibly a TB spacer and prolly have 90 extra hp from stock?? is this engine that de-tuned at the factory or are these fake numbers? any info is appreciated.
The numbers as advertised are misconceiving, most are shown toward the high end RPM's you really can't add numbers between bolt-ons to figure end gains. you're realistically never driving all the time between 4-5k RPM's, which accounts for most gains. Every little bit helps, however to achieve those numbers you're going to need support mods internally or aspirated. One item to cross off your list, throttle body spacer, complete waste of money, more of a scam then anything considered you're EFI!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
mikeg87xx
Professional

youre better off boring your throttle body than using a spacer, you would ne a huge spacer to see even a little gain. I am trying to make my own CAI instead of spending the money with KN. I have a 2012 ram tradesman 1500, i wish they made headers and more CAI options. Also, I am changing out my Y-Pipe soon. the stock is too restrictive.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:21 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Originally Posted by mikeg87xx
youre better off boring your throttle body than using a spacer, you would ne a huge spacer to see even a little gain. I am trying to make my own CAI instead of spending the money with KN. I have a 2012 ram tradesman 1500, i wish they made headers and more CAI options. Also, I am changing out my Y-Pipe soon. the stock is too restrictive.
Theoretically though you're still going to bottle neck at the intake manifold. The stock intake manifold is only rated for a max CFM rating, boring a TB inside diameter isn't going to push a more relative amount of air since the intake manifold is still the same diameter prior to boring before the throttle blade. Unless you find an aftermarket manifold bored/polished to the desired TB diameter, your really not achieving much. The only noticable difference, if any, would be a slightly crisper throttle response.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 AM
otownhilbilly

Thank u for the input, I really appreciate it! :-)

Quick Reply: 4.7L preformance upgrades?