4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird vibration / "chunking" feeling 2011 Ram Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 PM
dgriffi2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird vibration / "chunking" feeling 2011 Ram Sport

Hi all- new member here- 2011 Sport Quad cab w/ Hemi- my fourth Ram 1500- love the truck but the vibration / bad tire feeling being transmitted through the steering and gas pedal is really getting to me. I have read other posts about the fuel saver mode and going to 4 cylinders and all that-- and was at the dealership for 3 hours Wednesday and the tech said what I'm feeling is it shifting to 4 cylinders-- but that ain't it! I can feel a definite "chunk, chunk, chunk" seemingly in the front end, and it's making me crazy! Braking doesn't change the feeling, and sometimes when I'm coming to a stop I can actually hear it, not just feel it.

I have read others saying the 20" Goodyears are to blame- well this '11 has 26,000 miles- shouldn't have to replace tires already- and I really don't want to pay $800 for new tires if that's not the problem!

Any advice is appreciated- otherwise I love this truck but right now I don't even like driving it!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my Goodyears started scalloping before that mileage as well. If it is the tires you should actually be able to see the rubber starting to scallop on the outside ribs. If you can see it and feel it there isn't much you can do about it other than rotate them or buy new. I couldn't stand the vibration and got some Michelin LTX M/S II and love them. Had them balanced on Hunter machine and no more vibrations. Some people have had better lck with the OEM tires and others like me had them go bad real quick. Mine within a year of buying the truck. Good luck. It is frustrating ain't it? I had another truck that had the tires wear out in 28,000 miles. OEM tires just plain suck if you ask me, so I am always getting ready to change out after about 20,000 miles.

Last edited by RAMULAK; 10-28-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Weird vibration / "chunking" feeling 2011 Ram Sport