4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

32 Gallon tank swap question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Bammit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 32 Gallon tank swap question

I did some searching but wasn't finding what I was looking for , hopefully someone can help.

I recently swapped out my 26 gallon fuel tank for a 32. My 2010 ram had one and I was much happier with the range it gave me hence the swap.

Prob is my fuel gauge and DTE computer are both not reading properly, I knew the computer wouldn't but I am surprised the gauge isn't either.

My question is what do I need to fix both or one of these so it will read properly. All that was done was swapping out the tanks.

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Sport quad cab 4x4

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 AM
saberworks
Rookie

Interesting, I would love to do that. With the 26 gallon tank I'm lucky to get 300 miles.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to take it in to have some programming done. I am 99% positive aftermarket tuners do not offer the option of changing the tank size.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Bammit

Ya for reference the 32 was giving me 700-750 kms a tank on average, on highway when I drove to Alberta I got 1000 (I was over 900 and light still wasn't coming on, I am positive I could have made it 1000)

A friend said something about reflashing the computer? I think that's what your referring to Carguy.

Any other input or thoughts is appreciated

Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Bammit

How exactly does our trucks monitor fuel available?

Is it all a sensor, or is it a ball on a chain kinda deal?

If I know that I can probably figure out the next step

Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gave you the next step. You need to have some programming done. It is the first and only step. My only unknown is if an aftermarket tuner will allow you to do it or not. I have a feeling not, but you could E-mail/call Superchips, Diablo and Bullydog and ask them. Or just go to the dealer and let them do it. You should be in and out in 20 minutes.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Bammit

Went to dealer, they reset the computer and went through everything, I was told there is no option for a 32 tank in my computer.

Someone suggested I need a new "sending unit" from the tank? Any other suggestions?

Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking at the 2009 wiring diagram and the only two items involved in the circuit are the TIPM and the Module Fuel Pump. The Sending unit is a variable resistor that is part of the Module Fuel Pump, so you would have to replace the whole pump. The way the circuit reads is very straightforward, two wires are involved. From the TIPM, a signal called FUEL LEVEL SENSOR SIGNAL goes to the tank and into one side of the variable resistor (resistor value varies with the amount of fuel in the tank). The other side of the resistor returns to the TIPM, this signal is called FUEL LEVEL SENSE RETURN. There are no footnotes regarding the size of the tank. So, looking at this circuit, either the TIPM FUEL LEVEL SENSOR SIGNAL output is different for the two tanks, or the values of the variable resistors in the tanks differ. To find out if the resistors are different, go to the dealer and ask for part number for the Module Fuel Pump for a 26 gallon and for a 32 gallon, if they are the same part number, then the TIPM needs to be programmed to accept the 32 gallon tank. If the part numbers are different, then you have your answer, change the Module Fuel Pump. Changing the sending unit may fool the TIPM to read full when full of fuel, but it will probably still think you only have 26 gallons. The computer miles to empty will be wrong and you will have bastard truck. By the way the cluster gauge gets it's voltage from the TIPM also (didn't trace that signal, but it must be on the bus)

Maybe try a different dealer, if your truck can be ordered with a 32 gallon tank as an option, then there has to be a software flash to the TIPM that recognizes that. I don't think that the factory puts a 26 gallon sending unit in a 32 gallon tank when someone orders the option.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 05-11-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 32 Gallon tank swap question