4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:03 PM
mikey1371
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust Confusion

I NEED HELP WITH THIS. I am in Abilene, TX. I've gone to 2 different muffler shops. I already bought a Magnaflow dual 3 single 3 by accident. I recently bought the magnaflow 2.5 dual / 3 single Y-pipe. I picked up an Aero Turbine muffler as well with single 3 in/out. I have been trying to do all my research and get my knowledge. Neither shop wants to do the y-pipe really.

I finally explained to one that my hopes for my exhaust are as follows: JBA headers(already installed myself), cats, replace stock y- pipe for the aftermarket y-pipe, Muffler, & turn down before axle. Reason being is in the future I want to lay frame on bags.

They have both told me to replace the muffler and add a turn down will be $125 cash. Is that a good price? Now here is when it gets retarded. If I absolutely want the y-pipe they told me they would have to remove the stock and run the 2 pipes further back and then put the y-pipe on. That would be $250 for muffler turn down and y-pipe. After that was said they recommended just running true duals with Glass packs and turn downs for $450. The comment following from the mechanic was "All you want is the sound anyways." In my head was "No that is what my stereo system is for".

I'm already out $130 for the muffler and 30 X2 for my screw up on y-pipes. I need more knowledge. It won't be on the track. Its a daily driver. I am on Disability so budget is somewhat restrictive. I don't want my exhaust the same. What is my best performance gain option?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that shop is shafting you! I got my maggie cat back and my y-pipe installed for way less than that...here's some pics

IMAG0160 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0164 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0165 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0166 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMAG0171 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

^^click the link to go see the pics flickr isn't showing the pics on here for some reason

Your not going to see much for performance gains with just exhaust...I had the shop install my exhaust on my truck with the y-pipe and if I remember correctly i had everything done for around $150 and that was when I lived in NJ...If it's $3.00 in NJ it's prob $1.00 everywhere else in the US. lol. That place was absolutely absurd to live in my eyes. No offense to my fellow NJ people.

Last edited by Mikeyyy816; 04-27-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM
mikey1371
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool

Ok thanks. Yeah the other shop told me higher than 250. I'm gonna try to bump him down a little on the price tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Confusion