4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 EVIC question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:33 PM
hattitude
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much for EVIC problems..... Fate reared it's ugly head......!!!

Running errands today and after my 3rd stop at the grocery store, the truck wouldn't start......... plenty of battery, but when I turn to start the engine.... not a peep!!!

I called the service dept. at a near by dealership, not the one that couldn't fix my EVIC, and spoke to the service writer.

He told me to try to move it to Neutral and try to start it.....

I went through the 8-speed automatic, shift lever override, and the electronic shifter wouldn't budge.....

He said to tow it in.... I probably have a computer module problem....

Funny, that is the reason I was checking the function on my EVIC, thought it was indicative of a computer glitch or problem... The other dealer said all was fine.....

So now it's at another, hopefully more competent, dealer and he wrote it up for;
1) Engine will not crank
2) EVIC switches screens on it's own

Maybe now I will finally get this figured out.....

EDIT: 5/16/13- The engine didn't start because of a starter problem. They replaced the starter and said, "EVIC checks out OK".
I don't think they understood the EVIC problem and didn't follow how I told them to replicate it....

Last edited by hattitude; 07-04-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:43 PM
hattitude
Professional

Problem: My RA1, EVIC, switches screens on it's own. When I shut off the car and then restart it, the screen changes from when it was shut off.

Update: My third trip to a dealer for this problem..... they were finally able to understand the problem, replicate the problem, and they now have a new gauge cluster ordered to fix the problem.

Just wanted to post the resolution in case anyone else experienced a similar issue.

Thanks all for the info/help...

Old 07-18-2013, 04:22 PM
CHRGD
Professional

Originally Posted by hattitude
Problem: My RA1, EVIC, switches screens on it's own. When I shut off the car and then restart it, the screen changes from when it was shut off.

Update: My third trip to a dealer for this problem..... they were finally able to understand the problem, replicate the problem, and they now have a new gauge cluster ordered to fix the problem.

Just wanted to post the resolution in case anyone else experienced a similar issue.

Thanks all for the info/help...
My 2013 does the exact same thing as yours does as far as the EVIC. I am wondering if you got the new cluster in, and did it make any difference? Also what do you mean by RA1, is that the radio, and if so is that the basic radio? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add to it....my '11 always displays the last screen selected, even if it is the tire pressure or gauge reading.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by CHRGD
My 2013 does the exact same thing as yours does as far as the EVIC. I am wondering if you got the new cluster in, and did it make any difference? Also what do you mean by RA1, is that the radio, and if so is that the basic radio? Thanks.
Yes, the RA1 radio is the base radio, also called U-Connect 3.0 radio. I'll be installing my own double din Kenwood w/nav & bluetooth once they fix my EVIC.

I am taking it in on Tuesday so they can install the new display cluster. I am assuming this will fix it, but I will post up after it's put in.

NOTE: Getting the EVIC fixed was a pain in the butt. The main problem was getting the dealer to see the EVIC problem, even though it happens each time the truck is shut off and restarted. No one seemed to know it wasn't working properly.

I took it to one dealer and they returned it saying, "Everything checked out fine." The second dealer, where my truck was towed to with the starting problem, also checked the EVIC and said, "Everything checked out fine."

I brought it back to the that second dealer for another issue. I explained in detail what was happening with the EVIC and how to duplicate it. I also copied the reply from "Dodgecares" on this forum/thread, with his excerpt from the service manual which stated, " When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the EVIC display will return to the last function being displayed before the ignition was turned to the OFF position."

The dealer said they "spent the day" checking out the EVIC. They finally acknowledged the problem and had to order me another gauge cluster.

Last edited by hattitude; 07-21-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 AM
CHRGD
Professional

Very good Hattitude, good luck with the replacement, I hope it works out for you. I'm going to take a video of mine and will post what is going on with it. Again good luck!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 PM
hattitude
Professional

Well the saga continues...........

They replaced the gauge cluster and it didn't fix the problem.

At least I have my truck back, but the service writer said they are waiting for Chrysler to tell them what to do next.....

I've made 3 trips, and counting, to a dealer just to fix an EVIC glitch... wow!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 AM
CHRGD
Professional

Dang, sorry to hear that. Hope they find your problem soon. I got 2 short videos today, I just have to upload them.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 AM
CHRGD
Professional

Ok I got the videos uploaded here are the links.

Video 1-

Video 2-

Video 3-

As you can see, it pretty does the same thing as yours, I think. Hopefully they'll find a fix for us, if there truly is a problem.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 AM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by CHRGD

As you can see, it pretty does the same thing as yours, I think. Hopefully they'll find a fix for us, if there truly is a problem.
That's exactly what mine is doing. Per the service manual, that IS NOT the way it is supposed to work.

" When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the EVIC display will return to the last function being displayed before the ignition was turned to the OFF position."

My dealer acknowledges that it's a problem. They replaced the gauge cluster, at Chrysler's direction, which didn't fix the problem. They contacted Chrysler again and are waiting for them to say what the fix will be.

I will post up when they figure this out and get it fixed. I hope it doesn't take too long........

Quick Reply: 2013 EVIC question....