4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TPMS / Security Lights Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015 | 11:01 AM
cummins 6.7
Rookie
Default TPMS / Security Lights Battery Drain

i was actually about to post an update

its been a few days and ive been using the truk without a problem

i let it sit without turning it on for a day and started up after that........

i still have that security light on in my cluster panel, but maybe just needs an update??

i was wondering, when you turn on your truck; what is the battery gauge sittin at wen you first turn it on???

mine at the begining shows between 14 and the mark below it

Old 09-22-2015 | 12:12 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

I have no idea about the security light. I would expect that if the security light is on, that the alarm would go off or the truck would not start. It may be related to the aftermarket unit that the dealers put on and try to sell you for a huge profit.

The typical voltage for the alternator to put out when running varies with the load. It goes from anywhere of around 14 volts to a low as mid 13s.

When the truck is off, the battery should be around 12.5 to 12.7. 12.5 if there is some draw, like a light is on.

Old 09-22-2015 | 12:19 PM
cummins 6.7
Rookie
Default TPMS / Security Lights Battery Drain

yea that security light......... im gonna have to take it to a dealer and get charged lots of money to turn it off,

i checked my alternator recently and it was doing 14 volts

so 12 volts is what my batteries are at typically when the truck is off

Quick Reply: TPMS / Security Lights Battery Drain