4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine light @ 37K on odomoter????

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013 | 02:19 PM
oneofeach4me
|
Angry Check Engine light @ 37K on odomoter????

So I have had my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L truck since March of this year, bought it with 25K on it. It's always run a little sluggish going up hills but I was told that's due to the embeded Eco boost the truck is equipped with to assist with better MPG. However, the truck started making a sort of rattle sound (coming from exhaust area) when going up hills and at about 35-40 MPH. I took the truck to the dealership to have it looked at. They said they coudlnt' replicate the issue and that we would have to wait until it got worse but that they would note my account of the issue. That way, if the problem persisted and I surpassed my 35K full coverage warranty, it would be covered.

Well, that was in May. Here we are, October with 37K miles on the truck and the damn check engine light comes on??? I ran by an auto part store so they could pull the code for me and it's reading a P1404 and says EGR position sensor rationality closed. The ECM is detaching EGR flow or movement when it's not expected with probable causes as a failed EGR Solenoid, EGR Valve or an EGR position sensor.

I called the dealership to inform them of the issue and of course, I get the "you are out of warranty" spill and I remind them of the issue from May and ask if this could be related and I get the "there is no way for us to tell". Well, then why did you say in May you would note it for then? What good does that do me??

Anyway, enough ranting and babbling ,they want a little over $300 to replace the EGR Valve and at the very least $120 just to diagnose. :bawl:

Anyone know where I could get a 2012 EGR Valve for a 1500 SLT 4.7L engine? None of the neighborhood auto part stores carry it for whatever reason. Also, does anyone know where I can find a diagram, or instructions, or a video of how to replace it myself?

Thanks for the help!!

Old 10-17-2013 | 02:55 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Get it here

https://www.dodgeparts.com/oe_parts_...8c172293f3a194

Also you don't say what state you are in, if your truck is a CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliant truck, it may be covered by the emissions warranty. If you didn't get your warranty booklet, you can download a PDF from the Ram website.

Old 10-17-2013 | 03:02 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Shouldn't an EGR valve be covered under the emissions warranty up to 80K (100K?) in any state?

Rob

Old 10-17-2013 | 06:25 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

from my 2009 warranty book, basically non CARB EGR is only 3/36 but a CARB vehicle is much more comprehensive. Gotta make it pass smog check for 7 years or 70,000 miles under the PERFORMANCE WARRANTY

5. Emission Warranties Required By Law
5.1 Federal Emission Warranty - Light Duty Truck

A. Parts Covered for 2 Years or 24,000 Miles
Federal law requires Chrysler Motors LLC ("Chrysler") to warrant the following emissions parts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Chrysler covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
• Air system controls;
• distributor and its components;
• electronic fuel injection system, including injector;
• evaporative-emission canister and controls;
• exhaust manifold;
• exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system;
• exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst);
• fuel cap and tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines;
• ignition coil and ignition module;
• intake manifold;
• on-board diagnostic-system components;
• oxygen sensors;
• positive crankcase-ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice;
• secondary ignition wires;
• spark plugs;
• throttle body;
• transmission-control module;
• vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components;
• vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, timesensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems.

B. Parts Covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles
If your truck has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1(E). The covered parts are:
• catalytic converter; and
• powertrain control module.

C. Additional Emission Warranties
If your truck is equipped with a California Certified Emission Control System and is registered in California, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont,
Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Oregon or Washington, the California Emission Warranty — described in Section 5.3 — also applies.

5.2 Emission Performance Warranty
This warranty supplements the federal warranty under 5.1. It lasts for 2 years or 24,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. If your truck has one of the following parts, catalytic converter and powertrain control module, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first. These limits are counted from EMISSION WARRANTIES REQUIRED BY LAW the time when your Basic Limited Warranty begins under 2.1(E). The Emission Performance Warranty covers the cost of repairing or adjusting any components or parts that might be needed for your truck to pass Federal Emission Standards for a federally approved state or local emissions test, but only if:
• your truck has failed a federally approved state or local emissions test;
• your truck has been maintained and operated properly up until it fails such a test; and
• you face a real penalty — for example, a fine or the loss of the use of your truck — because the truck has failed the test.

Section 6.4 explains how to get service under this warranty.

5.3 California Emission Warranty
Light/Medium Duty Trucks Equipped With Gasoline Engines Your Warranty Rights and Obligations (Applies Only to Trucks Certified for Sale and Registered in the State of California) The California Air Resources Board is pleased to explain the emission control system warranty on your 2009 model truck. In California, new motor trucks must be designed, built and equipped to meet the State's stringent anti-smog standards. Chrysler Motors LLC ("Chrysler") must warrant the emission control system on your truck for the periods of time listed below provided there has been no abuse, neglect or improper maintenance of your truck.

Your emission control system may include parts such as the fuel-injection system, the ignition system, catalytic converter, and powertrain control module. Also included may be hoses, belts, connectors and other emission-related assemblies. Where a warrantable condition exists, Chrysler will repair your truck at no cost to you, including diagnosis, parts and labor.

MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY COVERAGE
For 3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever first occurs:
1. If your truck fails a Smog Check inspection, all necessary repairs and adjustments will be made by Chrysler to ensure that your truck passes the inspection. This is your emission control system

PERFORMANCE WARRANTY.
2. If any emission-related part on your truck is defective, the part will be repaired or replaced by Chrysler. This is your short-term emission control system DEFECTS WARRANTY. For 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever first occurs:
1. If an emission-related part listed in this warranty booklet specially noted with coverage for 7 years or 70,000 miles is defective, the part will be repaired or replaced by Chrysler. This is your long-term emission control system DEFECTS WARRANTY

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 10-17-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2013 | 10:26 AM
oneofeach4me
|
Unhappy

I am in GA and it appears as though the Emission System only was covered for 24 months or 24K. Unfortunately. I did check my warranty booklet. My whole thing was though, that I took it to them for issues at 27K in May but they couldn't figure out what was wrong and said I would have to wait until it got worse..but that they would note my account in case the issue presented itself past my 36K coverage. However, they are now saying there is no way to tell if the two are related and I am only at 37K.

It just sucks because I did research on symptoms or signs of a failing EGR and it basically described the issues I was having with the truck, but I guess this is their way around it. They just want me to pay the $400 bucks I guess...

Old 10-18-2013 | 02:35 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Note: I'm not diagnosing your vehicle, I'm providing instructions on how to replace the EGR valve.
from the factory service manual (2012 DS 4.7L V8):

REMOVAL

The electronic EGR valve and solenoid assembly is attached to the rear of the left cylinder head. An exhaust gas routing tube connects the EGR valve to the intake manifold.

1. Use a diagnostic scan tool to record any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

2. Remove the throttle body resonator.

3. Perform the fuel system pressure release procedure.

4. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

5. Disconnect the power brake booster vacuum hose and the vapor canister purge hose at the intake manifold.

6. Disconnect the EGR valve solenoid electrical connector.

7. Remove the EGR valve assembly retaining bolts.

8. Remove the EGR valve and the EGR routing tube from the engine as an assembly.

9. Remove and discard the metal gasket located between the cylinder head and the EGR valve assembly.

10. Remove the EGR valve routing tube retaining bolts at the EGR valve assembly.

11. Remove the EGR valve routing tube and discard the gasket.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean the EGR valve mounting surface of the left cylinder head.

2. Clean the EGR valve surface where it joins the left cylinder head.

3. Clean the EGR valve surface where it joins the EGR valve routing tube.

4. Clean the EGR valve routing tube surface where it joins the EGR valve.

5. Install a new O-ring gasket on the EGR vale routing tube.

6. Position a new gasket between the EGR valve routing tube flange and the EGR valve assembly.

7. Position the EGR valve routing tube to the EGR valve assembly, install retaining bolts and tighten to 11 N·m (8 ft. lbs.).

8. Position the new EGR valve gasket on the cylinder head.

9. Position the EGR valve routing tube into the intake manifold until the EGR valve routing tube flange is flush with the intake manifold.

10. Align the EGR valve to the cylinder head while holding the EGR valve gasket in place.

11. Install the EGR valve assembly retaining bolts and tighten to 9 N·m (80 in. lbs.).

12. Connect the EGR valve solenoid electrical connector.

13. Connect the fuel line to the fuel rail.

14. Connect the power brake booster vacuum hose and the vapor canister purge hose at the intake manifold.

15. Install the throttle body resonator.

16. Connect the negative battery cable.

17. Using a diagnostic scan tool, erase any previously recorded DTC's.

Last edited by DodgeCares; 10-18-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2013 | 08:08 AM
autoexpert

Originally Posted by oneofeach4me
So I have had my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L truck since March of this year, bought it with 25K on it. It's always run a little sluggish going up hills but I was told that's due to the embeded Eco boost the truck is equipped with to assist with better MPG. However, the truck started making a sort of rattle sound (coming from exhaust area) when going up hills and at about 35-40 MPH. I took the truck to the dealership to have it looked at. They said they coudlnt' replicate the issue and that we would have to wait until it got worse but that they would note my account of the issue. That way, if the problem persisted and I surpassed my 35K full coverage warranty, it would be covered.

Well, that was in May. Here we are, October with 37K miles on the truck and the damn check engine light comes on??? I ran by an auto part store so they could pull the code for me and it's reading a P1404 and says EGR position sensor rationality closed. The ECM is detaching EGR flow or movement when it's not expected with probable causes as a failed EGR Solenoid, EGR Valve or an EGR position sensor.

I called the dealership to inform them of the issue and of course, I get the "you are out of warranty" spill and I remind them of the issue from May and ask if this could be related and I get the "there is no way for us to tell". Well, then why did you say in May you would note it for then? What good does that do me??

Anyway, enough ranting and babbling ,they want a little over $300 to replace the EGR Valve and at the very least $120 just to diagnose. :bawl:

Anyone know where I could get a 2012 EGR Valve for a 1500 SLT 4.7L engine? None of the neighborhood auto part stores carry it for whatever reason. Also, does anyone know where I can find a diagram, or instructions, or a video of how to replace it myself?

Thanks for the help!!

Hi,
The check engine light is also known as malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). It shows when having a glitch in the electronic control module of vehicles. Commonly, the check engine light is positioned within the instrument console. In some older vehicles, the check engine light was referred to as "engine" or "trouble", which demonstrated small problems including overheating or flat oil pressure inside the motor. The check engine light is usually of golden or reddish color, and there are two types of it:

enduring check engine light - indicates minor situations
flashing check motor light - is triggered when there is a serious problem in the engine.

Source : http://engineservicelight.com/flashi...ck_engine.html

And if you are looking for Dodge Engine Codes.
Visit here : http://engineservicelight.com/dodge/dodge_1.html

Quick Reply: Check Engine light @ 37K on odomoter????