4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Keyless entry barely working...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 02:08 AM
BullyT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry barely working...

On my 2009 Ram Hemi I have to stand right beside the truck and click the key fob several times to get the doors to unlock. Does it with both key fobs, and figuring it was the battery I changed batteries in both fobs--little if any difference. I'm assuming there must be a central lock "module" or something but don't know where it is or if it is serviceable. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean the battery contacts in the fobs. Probably not your issue since it is happening to both of them and you already changed batteries, but this is a known issue so it is worth trying. Mine gets poor range/response about once a year and cleaning totally fixes it.

Start with a pencil eraser, then a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip.

Rob

Old 11-16-2013, 01:32 PM
LVRR
Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Clean the battery contacts in the fobs. Probably not your issue since it is happening to both of them and you already changed batteries, but this is a known issue so it is worth trying. Mine gets poor range/response about once a year and cleaning totally fixes it.

Start with a pencil eraser, then a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip.

Rob
This ^

Also clean the button contact areas as they get dirty and oxidize with time, use the pencil eraser on these also.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:47 PM
BullyT
Professional

Thanks for the suggestions. I dismantled key fob and cleaned all contact points with alcohol. Swabbed all metal contacts. Reassembled and tested but no improvement. Same issue with both key fobs, so I don't think it's the key fob. Don't know much about keyless entry so not sure if this is a software issue, or something mechanical with locking system. The Haynes 2009 Ram Repair Manual doesn't even mention the vehicle has keyless entry LOL so no help there. Key fob works, but I have to be very close to truck and depress button several times...sometimes holding it down works (?)

Old 11-17-2013, 02:10 PM
LVRR
Veteran

You may have a problem with the RF antennae or the module itself. Not sure where they are located, think they are inside the cab. Probably a web search may yield more answers.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 PM
ido

My key FOB got continually weaker until it would not work at all. Not even a year old. Had it checked by the dealer and they had to program me a new one to replace it. It is synced with the WIN unit mounted under the dash so it will allow all functions on the FOB. Each WIN unit can be paired with up to 8 FOBs. The dealer told me after 8 FOBs have been paired with the WIN the WIN would have to be replaced to begin the count all over. I am at 3 pairings currently since I got two key FOBs with the truck and now have had one added since. The WIN unit that has to be replaced is worth over $1500 I was told.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM
War Horse
All Star

My 2009 does this at times. Some days you'll have to stand right next to the truck, just trying back and forth between lock and unlock. It's mainly my key, but I've had it happen on the wife's as well. I've changed both batteries, but still the same. It doesn't happen a lot, just occasionally, so I've never talked with the service dept about it.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning the contacts, I'll have to give that a shot.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:11 PM
ggr16800

I have seen this keyless entry problem with several Ram 1500s. Two rentals had the problem. I owned a 2009 that the dealer played with over a 12 month period and decided my after market radio was the problem after replacing one of the fobs.. I later bought a 2010 ram 1500 with the same issue and now it is almost not working at all. I am surprised that this forum has not seen this issue a lot more. I was hoping to find a resolution here. With both my Ram 1500s, the dealer was almost worthles in trying to resolve the issue. I tried a lemon law procedure to get the dealer to be more proactive, this is when they found the problem was caused by the "After Market" radio. Hhmm?? My next effort will be to talk to one of these stereo shops that install remote/keyless systems. Maybe they will have a resolve short of a $1500 after market unit.
Gary

Last edited by ggr16800; 11-22-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

i had trouble with both if my fobs after changing the batteries and the dealer had a box to read the fobs and found both batteries were no good. he put in a new 1 off the shelf and it is 90% better. he also told me the win is the receiver so when i use the fob i raise it above the door line right at the win and it is almost foolproof.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
RGVram99
Professional
Default RKE dead

My remote keyless entry (RKE) completely died on New Year’s. I recently replaced the batteries with new energizers because they were intermittently not responding. I also cleaned the contacts while changing the batteries and saw a big improvement. But little by little the fobs would stop responding. Now both fobs are completely unresponsive, FYI both fobs have been replaced while under bumper to bumper warranty and are about two years old.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry barely working...