4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new tpms sensors issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:44 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new tpms sensors issue

I've had a bunch of issues with the original TPMS sensors with the aluminum stems cracking the nuts, so I bought a set of the rubber stem style off ebay a while back. Finally had them installed on friday when I got a set of new tires.

My understanding was that with the Dodge system that the truck would configure itself for the new sensors after about 30 miles. I've put a couple hundred miles on since friday and the light is still on.

So now it is looking like - either there was some activation step that I needed to have done, or the sensors are bad, or the sensors are the wrong ones.

This is the description from the auction I bought them on:
NEW OEM CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP TPMS 56029398AB 433MHZ

My truck is a 2009 - these are listed as factory for the 2010 - 2012.

Thoughts?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Jeep I had my metal stems replaced with the new rubber ones and never had an issue right out the door my light never came on, I don't know if they were reprogramed or not, is the 433MHZ the right frequency for your unit.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supposedly the 2009/2010 metal stem sensors are also 433MHZ. Guess I'll have to get the dealer to take a look at it when the truck is in for the rear end rebuild next week.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess is that you got the wrong ones. I don't think there is any way to change the TPMS RF signal to the truck, so any change has to be within the truck itself. 433MHz is just the carrier frequency, and there is a signal or message mixed into the carrier. So even if the frequency is correct, the truck may not recognize the TPMS message. I'm not familiar with the modulation that Chrysler uses, so I'm just guessing.

Edit: just looking around for more info, I came up with this

Registration of direct TPMS IDs

When the direct TPMS system is fitted at the factory the unique ID numbers of the TPM (tire pressure monitoring) sensors have to be registered along with their position on the vehicle with the tire pressure monitor ECU. This is also the case if any of the system components are subsequently changed e.g. in the event of rotating the tires, changing sensors, replacing the ECU etc.[4]
This process requires the activation of the direct TPMS sensor using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_frequency (LF) radio and the capture of the UHF data transmitted. This data includes the direct TPMS ID, the pressure and the temperature. In automotive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_plants, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activation is carried out using large antenna systems whilst in the dealerships and tire shops, hand tools are used. These tools can also be used to check the direct TPMS for faults prior to disassembly. If a TPM sensor or its position on the car are changed without re-registering the IDs, then the TPMS warning light will turn on and stay on until the IDs are re-registered.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_TPMS#cite_note-Hawes.2C_p._1-1

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 11-27-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: new tpms sensors issue