4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WHi on Highway - Major mechanical breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeebus - after reading that mess I wonder how I survive in MN with a 2wd. Oh, lordy it snowed and the roads are a little slippery.

Bottom line - its your truck, if you feel like driving it around in 4wd on the highway then go for it. Just don't come complaining about it if you blow up something in the driveline doing something that is known to cause damage.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM
OCDPLR
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear Chrysler changed their mind and you'll be back on the road soon.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to here they fixed it. Being a fleet user they want to keep you happy. Honestly, back in 94 we had the same rule passed down to us because guys were putting it in 4wd in Oct and taking it out in April!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Duso02
Captain

Originally Posted by Metalgearsolid_x
My problem is it doesn't show ANYWHERE on the manual " DO NOT EXCEED over x MPH while you're on 4hi" and if you look at page 389, you can see that the manual DOES tell you that you can be speeding upto 55 mph and switch to 2hi to 4hi. So if it's slippery and you can maintain 55-60 mph (or even higher), you should be able to use 4hi.
Metalgearsolid, nobody is saying anything about speed. It has nothing to do with how fast you are going. It is purely a mechanical issue. You can bind your system up doing 2 mph. 4wd lock is like welding your axles together in the pumpkin, eventually something has to give.

Once again, it has nothing to do with speed, nobody is saying that and that is why there are no warnings in the manual.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duso02
Metalgearsolid, nobody is saying anything about speed. It has nothing to do with how fast you are going. It is purely a mechanical issue. You can bind your system up doing 2 mph. 4wd lock is like welding your axles together in the pumpkin, eventually something has to give.

Once again, it has nothing to do with speed, nobody is saying that and that is why there are no warnings in the manual.
This whole thread was pretty much about speed...lol

Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Duso02
Captain

Come on Dirtydog! Like you never flew up the Northway in 4wd!...lol Hell, I've done that in my CJ back in the 80's! That was when the GrandPrix was still at exit 11.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I drive the rural backwoods of Wisconsin highways for my daily commute, I just "assumed" common sense would be to drive a "responsible" speed due to unsafe conditions (Ex. slippery or loose), if engaged and utilizing in PT 4wd, aka 4 HI.

I suppose it's crazy to think Chrysler might actually "assume" most drivers would be able to dictate that same knowledge.

Oh well, to each his own, it keeps the wrecker business thriving.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Metalgearsolid_x

Originally Posted by Duso02

I see you point. Thanks

I do apologize if I came off harsh. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm VERY new to domestic trucks (drove Japanese cars since 2007). So I'm getting used to the whole truck scene and real 4wd stuff.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Duso02
Captain

No worries. Most of these part-time systems are just electronic versions of the old manual systems. When you used to have to get out of the cab, lock each hub manually, then get back in and wrestle with a lever on the floor, you tended to use it as a last resort!!! I would probably estimate about 75-80% of the part-time 4wds sold could easily be replaced with 2wd.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:17 PM
PostalTwo
Professional

I hope dodge takes care of this for u. They cant expect people to know this stuff if they dont clearly state that u cant use on the highway.they should cover it peroid .alot of people buy new so they have no worries because they dont know mechanics they pay ppl to take care of that lol.i really dodge should change there manual

Quick Reply: 4WHi on Highway - Major mechanical breakdown