4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 LT tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM
ramminit99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I saw a 4th gen 1500 with LT305/55/20 Dick Cepek FCIIs. Looked pretty decent. Anyone have any idea of how bad these would kill mileage or towing capacity? How about if they rub at full steering lock? Thanks!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ramminit99
Today I saw a 4th gen 1500 with LT305/55/20 Dick Cepek FCIIs. Looked pretty decent. Anyone have any idea of how bad these would kill mileage or towing capacity? How about if they rub at full steering lock? Thanks!
That's a 33.2" tire. It's def wider than stock but still only measures 12" wide and is probably not even that because most tire companies cheat(exaggerate) size by a little bit. It probably just measures 33" tall and 11.8" wide weould be my guess. That size tire will fit fine. Since they are almost identical to stock 20" size(maybe 1/2" taller since stock 33"s only measure to 32.5") I don't think the towing would be reduced much. Maybe by a few hundred pounds(200)

The 4th Gens tire fitment is damn near close or exact to that of a 3rd Gen. Here is the specs for 3rd Gen
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...dodge-ram.html

I also provide calculators, as well as a hand explanation to help people understand and calculate on the fly.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM
ramminit99
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know it's been a while, but with the addition of a new company Ram the 2012 has been sitting mostly idle except to pull a horse trailer. Tomorrow we are taking a long trip with the horses and I decided that the OEM goodyears are too far gone to be safe with the load. So today the new LT275/65/20 Dueler Revo II ATs go on. (Basically the only thing i could get short notice) Hopefully they'll serve us well. I'll keep y'all posted!

Old 08-28-2014, 02:43 AM
ramminit99
Rookie

UPDATE: These tires look great! Handling, ride, and performance don't seem to be negatively impacted with the E rated compared to the stock P tires. The truck seems to feel more stable and planted.

However, when they had it up on the rack they noticed that the front struts were leaking and had me go to the dealer for warranty. I'm glad I decided to get the tires today as I was at 35,848 miles when I rolled into the dealer. Another 153 miles and I'd be paying for the struts myself! Funny 8k ago I had the tires rotated/balanced and the same tire store did an alignment/suspension check but didn't notice the leaking struts after I had been complaining about bump steer and the front end feeling a little shaky. Oh well, now to wait on parts and hopefully the front end feels better. Have a good one!

Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 AM
A05GSHO
Professional

Originally Posted by ramminit99
UPDATE: These tires look great! Handling, ride, and performance don't seem to be negatively impacted with the E rated compared to the stock P tires. The truck seems to feel more stable and planted.

However, when they had it up on the rack they noticed that the front struts were leaking and had me go to the dealer for warranty. I'm glad I decided to get the tires today as I was at 35,848 miles when I rolled into the dealer. Another 153 miles and I'd be paying for the struts myself! Funny 8k ago I had the tires rotated/balanced and the same tire store did an alignment/suspension check but didn't notice the leaking struts after I had been complaining about bump steer and the front end feeling a little shaky. Oh well, now to wait on parts and hopefully the front end feels better. Have a good one!
Mine leaked at 2500 miles and were replaced under warranty.

Quick Reply: 1500 LT tires?