4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2014 Ram sport factory projector headlamp swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:08 AM
theglassassjason
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Ram sport factory projector headlamp swap

I have obtained a set of oem 14 ram sport projector headlamps and would like to know if they would directly plug into my 2013 ram 1500 outdoorsman?

Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM
plumcrazy73
Captain

get ahold of jeremy (numbers is his screen name on here and other ram sites (a bunch of numbers) or facebook search retroshop.. or retroshop (dot)us,,,,,, he makes the adaptors (high quality and great customer service) to make those work.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:23 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the HID ballasts an integral part of the headlight housings? (attached via some bracket of clamp on the back) Or do you have the housing and then a separate ballast? Because if all you have are the housings and no ballasts you for sure cannot use them.

I too have wondered how hard it would be to simply add a Dodge HID headlight system off another truck but the fact i have not come across anyone saying "SURE!, just plug them in!" leads me to think it's way more complex then that.

Let us know what you find out. If i can add the factory HID's to my 11' for a somewhat reasonable price i would be interested.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:09 PM
plumcrazy73
Captain

get ahold of jeremy he can answer all these questions and hook you up with the adaptors even sell you factory housings

Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by NV290
Are the HID ballasts an integral part of the headlight housings? (attached via some bracket of clamp on the back) Or do you have the housing and then a separate ballast? Because if all you have are the housings and no ballasts you for sure cannot use them.

I too have wondered how hard it would be to simply add a Dodge HID headlight system off another truck but the fact i have not come across anyone saying "SURE!, just plug them in!" leads me to think it's way more complex then that.

Let us know what you find out. If i can add the factory HID's to my 11' for a somewhat reasonable price i would be interested.
I thought the OEM projector headlights were still halogens, not HIDs?

Rob

Old 04-28-2014, 11:09 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
I thought the OEM projector headlights were still halogens, not HIDs?

Rob
No idea? They LOOK like HID housings. But from what i gather the big issue with retrofitting HID's to stock housings is the light dispersion and that the solution is Projector housings. So then i guess the factory projector housings retrofitted with HID bulbs should solve the issue? I would love a quality solution to this. I just don't want to buy poor quality HID's that fail after a few weeks and i don't want to be one of those a-holes that blind other people.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:10 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

The RAM web site calls then "Bi-Halogen Projector Headlights", with "Halogen infrared reflecting bulbs burn brighter and provide higher output."

The whole "HIDs in stock housings blinds people' thing is very hyped up and over-generalized. Not EVERY factory headlight housing has problems with HID bulbs. Are they optimized for HIDs? No. But they aren't all bad. I've had aftermarket HIDs since I got the truck and I never get flashed by oncoming drivers. If these were SOOOO bad I'd think at least someone over my 62K+ miles would have been irritated enough to flash me for it. Of course, maybe they're just too busy running off the road because they are blinded so they don't think to flash me. Who knows.

I'm not saying it is the best solution. But it is not bad.

Rob

Last edited by BigBlueEdge; 04-28-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 PM
plumcrazy73
Captain

factory HIDS are a halogen projector not true HID, Jeremy can correct that as well.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by plumcrazy73
factory HIDS are a halogen projector not true HID, Jeremy can correct that as well.
I think you mean "factory projectors are a halogen projector not a true HID'...

Old 08-28-2014, 04:49 PM
glinton
Default oem projector swap for a 2014 ram 1500

why is there a problem with the projector connection to the factory installed wiring. Do the Rams that come from the factory with projector headlights have different wiring. I would think it would just be an easy swap, but from what i am hearing it's not that easy. Any help would be wonderful understanding this issue.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ram sport factory projector headlamp swap