4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't think the TB would cause it not to turn over. Was this truck a flooded truck? We've seen a few on this forum that were flooded and had all kinds of weird symptoms. If I was you, I'd start with the starter voltage. Next, look at the schematics I've mentioned before, they are really good! They even show you where the connectors are. On the passenger side firewall, there are some connectors you may want to disconnect and re-connect.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:18 PM
cansasky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not that the tb specifically wont let it start, its more that the computer cannot communicate with the tb therefore the computer reads a fault and will not let the truck start, voltages all check out, as there is no cable to the tb anymore it relies on a potensiometer in the pedal assemble to relay data to the computer which in turn relays said data to a servo that operates the butterfly valve in the tb.. you could test this by unplugging the tb and cycling your key. you'll get the same red lighting bolt on the dash as mine... I had it fixed here on Friday, cost me around 650$ for the new tb plus diagnostics etc.. it just went down again a whoping 2 days later and left me stranded in a parking lot... not sure what the root of the issue is but so far its been 34 days ive had this truck and its chewed through its second tb....
as far as i know of the history on the truck i just found out its had a motor replaced about 40000 km ago, otherwise its been a one owner truck with no major issues.. high km's but dodge says it was in for all the recalls and regular service.. mechanically sound they said.... Im thinking i just bought a whole pile of nightmare

Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Throttle body will not cause a NO CRANK.

I wish I could see their scan report on it. This is a dealer, right?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 PM
cansasky

yes its a local dodge dealer, i'll see if i can get the specifics but the way i understand it its more the computer finds a fault in the tb and will not allow the truck to turn over, its not that it cant.. if the servo in the tb is cooked, how would it open the butterfly valve to allow air into the engine, therefore the computer will not even start the ignition process.. kind of makes sense in my head anyway, maybe i'm wrong but thats how the lead mechanic explained it to me.. like i say i'll see if i can get more info and post as i do

Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 PM
cansasky

all i know for certain is that when i borrowed a different tb off a similar truck and plugged it in, away she went.. twice
also just curious but could a cold air intake and tb spacer have any effect on burning out the tb?