4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing Python Alarm in 2011 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 02:00 PM
daddfam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Python Alarm in 2011 Ram 1500

New to the forum, obviously, having fun upgrading my truck but running into some problems.

Just replaced the stock radio with a new Jensen, with XM, GPS, backup camera etc. and a new cruise control but the alarm is giving me some pause.

Trying to find an ignition source and so far the only point mentioned in the wiring sent form the seller is on the ignition switch which is probably a 20 gauge wire and I need to connect two 12 gauges wires. I don't think that's the spot I want. Instructions have been very vague so far.

Some introduction: First Ram truck no first dodge product. Live in Reno, Nevada and am a service manager for a fence company working on Electric Gates. Have an electronics degree, 52 years old and married 25 years.

thanks for the help, look forward to talking with others and doing more things with the truck

Old 11-01-2014, 02:24 PM
daddfam

just an update: so focused on the instructions didn't even think about the Chilton and the wiring diagrams. Going through that looking for an ignition point.

This is basically my problem with the instructions: by ignition point I assume they only want power when you're starting not all the time? That's the vagueness I'm talking about.,

Old 11-01-2014, 03:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Moving to the correct technical section.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:48 AM
RAMeister
Rookie

Welcome,

My guess would be that the term "Ignition Source" is referring to a 12V source that is present when the ignition is on and 0V when the ignition is off. Can not imagine why any device would want to be connected to an "only why cranking" 12V source, with the exception of the starter. LOL
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck, let us know how you make out...

Old 11-02-2014, 12:18 PM
daddfam

It has been a challenge. The alarm just doesn't appear to be working. Found the ignition wire but I'm wondering also if those wires should be hot and that's why it doesn't work. Since they do require 12V I figure it can't hurt.

Bought 4 things on Ebay only one has been trouble free. The new radio as I said is working but went to put it in completely yesterday and it won't go in. It's a double DIN which the truck has but it just won't slide in more than 2 ". Off to try both again today. So far starting to think it would be better to just pay to have a Dodge worked on, especially a newer one.

Thanks for the help, your comment made me think about just putting the straight 12. Youd think it would say 12V

Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There are wired cartridges that can be put into a spare fuse slot with a single terminal. I have seen them a couple times on people's cars for stereos and such. I thought they were pretty neat actually. You would have to check for B+ feed or Ignition though before you use it. Use one of the large fuse slots with the wide blade if you can find one.

Welcome to Dodge Forum BTW

Last edited by TNtech; 11-05-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:46 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 11' as well.

While the dash opening is a Double DIN you do need to cut the center bar (Hacksaw blade) out that is blocking the radio for going in. I had my local audio dealer re-do my system and install a new Double DIN unit and i asked lots of questions and he explained how he did it.

As for your alarm system troubles, here is my whole take on that (simply my opinion)

A long time ago car manufacturers never offered alarm systems so if you wanted one the only way was to buy aftermarket. And when car alarms were a new thing in the auto world people noticed them when they went off. But now every car manufacturer out there offers them as a factory installed option or you can buy it as an add-on later. And now in most cases nobody ever turns their head when one goes off.

That being said, why not just buy the Mopar factory alarm which literally just plugs in. It's engineered specifically for your truck and will use the factory key fobs. And if you have the dealer do the work the whole install is warrantied. With these trucks and their complex and EXPENSIVE electronics systems (price out a TIPM and get ready to freak out) the idea of tapping into or cutting into the factory harness to install an aftermarket device capable of disabling the ignition system is not something i would ever want to do. It's one thing if the factory alarm was outrageously expensive or complicated to install. But it's neither.

The factory alarm locks and unlocks the doors, disables the ignition and makes noise if someone opens a door or the hood. That is all you really need. The side windows on these trucks are ridiculously strong. It's some type of double laminated glass that resists hammer blows. So i personally do not see any advantage of the Python alarm over the factory system other then if you install it yourself successfully that you don't need a dealer to program it.

Quick Reply: Installing Python Alarm in 2011 Ram 1500