4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

muffler change

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 AM
brush4646
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question muffler change

I saw on the TV show Gearz a muffler change on a Ram using a Heartthrob cat back exhaust. I was wondering if the rewards were worth the cost.
Thanks
Brush

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 03-10-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:14 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for? If you are looking for performance, you need to invest in more than the muffler. These exhausts are pretty decent, flow wise. If you are looking for sound, then its worth the investment. I would check out Mufflex. They sell a direct fit setup that will give you the sound you are looking. As soon as the weather breaks I am either going with the dod24m or dod18m which are for the factory "duals".

Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

I second the Mufflex for sound. I have the DOD18 and love it. Almost too loud for a 50 year old conservative business owner, but I love it.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:30 AM
brush4646
Rookie

I was looking for a weebit increase in mileage. I don't care about the sound.
Brush

Old 03-11-2015, 08:50 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

If you want better mileage control you right foot. Not easy to do when you increase flow, which equals noise.

The other easy way to increase mileage is to increase tire pressure (not above the tire rating, though...!). Of course, that will reduce ride comfort.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:31 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dwaldmann
I second the Mufflex for sound. I have the DOD18 and love it. Almost too loud for a 50 year old conservative business owner, but I love it.
And my inner fight continues, I am torn on either the 18 or the 24... I am coming from this, a 4.7 with an MBRP Cool Duals setup
. I want moderate with no more than the old setup, maybe even a touch less. I feel like my 31 year old self is getting old, looking for something less loud...

Old 03-12-2015, 02:23 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brush4646
I was looking for a weebit increase in mileage. I don't care about the sound.
Brush
A cat back exhaust on a stock truck will not offer any increase in MPG whatsoever. So if that is why you're looking into one, save your money.

As has been pointed out by dwaldmann the simplest and most effective way to get an increase in MPG is to simply lighten up on the gas. And the vast majority of people who install exhaust systems end up getting a heavier foot because they love the sound. So it actually works the opposite way. If your goal is better MPG, lighten up on the foot and increase your tire PSI and remove any unnecessary weight from your truck. I'm often amazed at how much junk pickup truck owners (and i'm guilty of it at times too) carry in our trucks for no reason.

As far as an increase in performance by adding a cat back system? On an otherwise stock truck the gains will be minimal at best. Typically a few HP which is unlikely to be even something you can feel. But because they are much louder many people assume that the increase in power is dramatic. It's not. 20 years ago simple bolt ons would make a big difference. But car manufacturers have gotten smart and now all those easy ways to add more HP and increase MPG's are done at the factory. Look at the HP numbers on today's engines. Their are V6's putting out more power then V8's of the 80's. The 4th gen Ram's really will not see any increase in HP until you make major changes. Ported intakes and heads, headers, cams, etc. The factory inductions system flows more air then a stock engine can even use making aftermarket "high flow inductions" a waste of money. The old days of undersized super restrictive exhausts are gone too. The factory exhaust isn't even that bad. It's sized to the engine which is why adding an aftermarket exhaust swill not do anything more then making it louder.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 AM
dwaldmann
Professional

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
I want moderate with no more than the old setup, maybe even a touch less.
Then I would keep the stock exhaust and put the money towards a set of Low Rolling Resistance tires.

Other things that increase mileage:
Narrower tires.
Wheel to wheel side steps.
Lower temp thermostat.
Lower vehicle ride height.
Tonneau cover.

Note that most of the above will take almost forever to show any ROI.

Probably the best bang for buck is getting a 2015. Make sure you get the air suspension, which lowers the truck at highway speed, and also that you get the highest (lowest number) axle ratio.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:55 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Billy you're going to be disappointed if you don't go with the 18"! We have to meet up and have you ride in my buddies with the 14" and no resonators before you make the decision because I think it will change your mind, it changed mine from the 18" to 14" for sure. His is not that much louder than the video you posted, plus our 2014s are probably even quieter inside than his 2010 with 85,000 miles. I've read the 24" is barely any different than the stock exhaust, so IMHO a waste of money since the stock isn't that bad and somewhat loud compared to other stock exhausts.

Last edited by TheePlaymaker; 03-14-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:14 AM
kayakman
Veteran
Default my 2 cents worth not sure it's worth that much :)

My 2 cents worth not sure it's worth that much lol. When my OEM muffler lets go. I am really thinging of replacing it with the Aero muffler. They sound nice, and not loud. I have a 2012 Outdoorsman single exhaust and will stick to that configuration. When I contacted Aero they suggested leave the resonator on to cut back on noise but still gain in responsiveness and very small gains in Hp and mileage. My Last truck was a '98 Ram quad cab, with a 360 V8 and installed a high flow Cat. with a Magnaflow muffler. That gave me much quicker pick up thru the gears, especially when towing my 5th wheel. Better

Anyway a exhaust update will help a tiny bit, but too big a pipe you will loose. I just found it will help in responsiveness on the highway ramps while towing, I've been towing since 1990.

Plus , what gear ratio you have and what you use your truck for will determine your mileage. I have a 3:92, so I won't get the fuel mileage of a 3:55 or 3:21 axle ratio.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck

cheers

Last edited by kayakman; 03-18-2015 at 05:22 AM. Reason: show part 2 of video

Quick Reply: muffler change