4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Assistance for park assist sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Garry McCollum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Assistance for park assist sensors

2014 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4 Laramie. I need the parking assist and is basically the only darned option I didn't get...

I have called two different dealerships and gotten two different prices and descriptions. I asked that the system be tied into my existing system and that it look factory. One said only after market is available and would have a separate LED module/display with audible. The other said it would run approximately 1K but wasn't sure he could 'make it work' with my existing back up camera and existing system.
I have found a parking assist module online at Mopar for $120, this is probably an OEM replacement. I don't know that I could wire it to the system unless there is a pre-existing connection (hoping there is) I don't understand the discrepancy in pricing and I assume I would have to have my system flashed.

Any assistance greatly appreciated, the best grade I can give these two dealers is a D-.
Thx

Old 05-12-2015, 05:32 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You're genuinely disappointed that they can't promise you they can integrate an aftermarket system with a factory system?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Garry McCollum

No, I'm generally disappointed they cannot integrate technology that is on vehicles with lower trim levels into one that has a higher trim level and (strictly imho) should be able to accommodate basically a 4 sensor, 8 wire package with a speaker and flash the on board cpu. Which, should be a Mopar/Ram simple solution. Ram doesn't offer a 'Factory' rear park assist? That was the system I was requesting. Thanks for the 'sarcasm' Sorry if I offended you or your profession, so to speak

Last edited by Garry McCollum; 05-12-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:38 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems to be what you are asking for and it's an actual Dodge dealer selling it. Not the same year, but it seems their may be hope?

Question though. You said you have the factory backup camera? If so you don't find that helps tremendously with backing up and parking? I had the park assist in my 05' 300C and loved it. Because it had no camera. Now that i have a camera in my 11' Ram and i realize how much better it is i will never own another car without one. Nothing beats SEEING the rear bumper as it approaches an object than listening to beeps and flashing lights. Not to mention, if something is laying directly behind your truck low to the ground (A child, a dog/cat, a shovel/rake) the park assist will not detect it. But with the camera you would see it right away.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Garry McCollum
Thanks for the 'sarcasm' Sorry if I offended you or your profession, so to speak

You give 2 dealers a so-called D- because they can't re-engineer the dam truck for you upon request and because Chrysler/Fiat, a totally separate entity, did not engineer the truck to be upgraded or does not offer the upgrade.

Oh, I'm not offended. I'm amused.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Garry McCollum
Default Really....

Originally Posted by TNtech
You give 2 dealers a so-called D- because they can't re-engineer the dam truck for you upon request and because Chrysler/Fiat, a totally separate entity, did not engineer the truck to be upgraded or does not offer the upgrade.

Oh, I'm not offended. I'm amused.

I so appreciate you belittling comments...they are so very helpful and make an individual feel so welcome to the forum. Actually I would enjoy taking you out to lunch sometime. I just feel all that warm an fuzzy about you.

Ok, so you are explaining to me that Ram -Rewrites the code for EACH cpu and user interface on EACH and every truck. I am not asking for an upgrade that is unusual. In fact, the majority of vehicles have them. I have found the harness and sensors available, I am not adverse to installing them. The question would be is there a connector for them and then would the system have to be upgraded/flashed (turned on) to recognize the hardware. I find it hard to believe that a multibillion dollar corporation would not have a basic program written, then disable whatever components not installed.

You seem to be the god of Chrysler/Fiat - so please explain to me how this is good business? ...And just for your information, the grade was based on a lot more than lack of perceived knowledge. It was also given based on the service writer sounding 15 and not understanding that Ram was a damn truck...I need a technician with some technical background not a parts changer. As, by your comments, you seem to fall into the latter category, I'll end here.

I'm going to visit them face to face as possibly my explanation of what I wanted to accomplish wasn't accurate enough.
Thanks though, will keep everyone else updated - who knows, we ALL may learn something from this

Old 05-13-2015, 05:49 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

Originally Posted by NV290
Question though. You said you have the factory backup camera? If so you don't find that helps tremendously with backing up and parking? I had the park assist in my 05' 300C and loved it. Because it had no camera. Now that i have a camera in my 11' Ram and i realize how much better it is i will never own another car without one. Nothing beats SEEING the rear bumper as it approaches an object than listening to beeps and flashing lights.
I agree a camera is better than sounds/lights. Both my Ram and my wife's Explorer have the backup camera and I love it. The Explorer has a nice upgrade over the Ram though - it includes the audible warning, and also highlights three closeness zones in the camera display.

However, I wish I had gotten the park assist for the front. I have it on my MB and it's really helpful when parking in tight quarters. Of course, a front camera would be even better. I think Ford might have that option on the new F-150.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Garry McCollum

Having to go a little further than the service writer. It appears that all systems should be able to be integrated and that all that is required is installation of sensors and an update to the system. Must be confirmed by engineer....but am hopeful.
Nice to not be written off as "trying to RE Engineer the vehicle"

...again will keep all posted.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:57 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless they've done something different with the reverse sensors since 2010 you'll also need a new bumper. Rob

Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Garry McCollum

Actually, all that would be required is to drill four holes and install the sensors/wiring harness...

Service Manager is now going to contact engineering to see if the system supports it. I am hoping that the CPU/user interface will accept the OEM parts and recognize it.
Amazed that it seems so difficult to add on OEM parts that should be supported by the operating systems and the only answer I can get is 'maybe'
Possibly I am looking at this in the wrong way. If I buy a computer and decide to change the printer or add a camera, all I have to do is install a driver for it to recognize the hardware. Don't understand Ram if they install different operating systems for each vehicle. In my humble opinion, wouldn't it make more sense to install the same OS and just disable the features not used?

Again...Will update with more details when and if I get a good answer. Push come to shove, I'll put in an aftermarket system for 80% of the price the dealer has so far proposed.

Thx

Quick Reply: Assistance for park assist sensors