4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radiator fan coming on

Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator fan coming on

So my truck seems to have developed a strange habit of having the cooling fan turn on too early and staying on. Either that or it is just louder than it used to be. It comes on almost immediately after starting the truck, even fully cold after being in the garage. And it seems to stay on. The engine temp is not abnormal, nor is the outside temp.

Any ideas? Do you think the 5 year/100K powertrain warranty would cover having this looked at?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 07-23-2015, 03:55 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I should clarify that it may not be that the fan is 'coming on' but it may be that the fan is turning on at a higher-than-usual speed. It's possible the fan is always on but normally at a slower, quieter speed. I just noticed it is abnormal by the sound it has been making.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:34 AM
dwaldmann
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my uninformed opinion, the cooling system is part of the drivetrain (ever try to drive without one?), and should therefore be covered under the powertrain warranty.

Assuming, that is, you didn't buy it in April when you joined the forum...

Old 07-24-2015, 09:12 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Doesn't the fan run all the time when the AC is on?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I guess the first thing to figure out is under what circumstances it comes on and at what speed. Mine starts immediately, but I think that's the A/C kicking on.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fan has 2 speeds and are switched on by relays in the TIPM. Assuming that the high speed fan is "stuck on" when the ignition is on, then pulling the relay may give you some insight. Maybe relay is loose, or permanently on. I don't have the relay designators but they should be listed in the TIPM cover.

Per the wiring diagram, the relays are controlled by the TIPM circuitry based on various inputs and sensors. If it's not the relays, the problem is the TIPM module itself - non-serviceable.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 07-25-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiator fan coming on