4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Push Pin Tool.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:29 PM
John Valdes
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Pin Tool.

Well I decided to take a look myself at the windshield washer tank/hose to see where the river is coming from.
The felt material that surrounds the top of the engine compartment is attached with push pins. I must remove at least one to clear the tank.
Since I do not want to destroy the pins, I looked and I and see they make a tool for this. Don't get it. Looks like any thing to pry it up would work the same.
How does the tool get behind/under the top of the pin and squeeze the pin together for removal?

Or should I just pull them off and get new pins?

I rarely touch anything like this, but cash is king today and I'm trying to keep as much as I can.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Whiteout08
Professional

Are you talking about the kind where the center comes out first then the entire pin pulls out? If so, go buy a trim removal tool set from Harbor Freight, they are designed to remove pins like this.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:35 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by Whiteout08
Are you talking about the kind where the center comes out first then the entire pin pulls out? If so, go buy a trim removal tool set from Harbor Freight, they are designed to remove pins like this.
I have no idea. Thats why I asked.
They are all along the interior edges of the engine compartment. Black plastic push pins holding the felt like material.

I have looked at the tools and my question was "how does this tool squeeze the pin to allow removal"?
The tool just looks like its for prying.

I will check the "set" as the tools i have seen are not removal sets. Its a single tool for prying.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I just use a flat blade screwdriver to get uner the edge to start it, then a pair of large wire cutters to get under both sides and pry it out.

These work better, but I like to Mcgyver things.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...set-66188.html

Old 08-28-2015, 06:58 AM
Whiteout08
Professional

That set will work fine, I've just never liked to use anything metal when prying parts off a car, this is the one I have and would hate not having it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html

Old 09-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. I have the same set in my toolbox. Plastic doesn't scratch. If it is just a plain one-piece head, slide the fork under and pry it up. If the head is two pieces, a wide washer looking part, then a smaller flat top version in the center, pry the smaller one up then pull them both out together.

Quick Reply: Push Pin Tool.