4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sqealing noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sqealing noise

I haven't been on here in a long time, 3-4 years probably but still have the same truck I bought in 2010 and have almost 100k on it now! I wanted to see if anyone has had the same problem that I am having and this was a great resource last time I was on here I wanted to see if anyone could help. I am getting a squealing noise from the power steering pump I think! When I get the noise I can spray a little Marvel Mystery Oil on the back side of the pulley where it connects to the pump and the squealing goes away. I am thinking the pump may be fine since it drives and steers just fine. Does anyone know if there is a bearing in there and if it can be replaced? Forgive me if this is a sticky somewhere or has already been covered. I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:06 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you might be the first to tackle this.. i'm sure you can replace the bearing.. but it might be easier just to replace the whole pump... not sure though.. let us know and if you decide to DIY.. take pictures and write it up!

Old 12-04-2015, 09:51 AM
xsparta11x
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Went through this last year on my 2010 5.7 TRX4. It started out as a squeal and turned into the entire pump failing. I Replaced it With an Autozone refurb pump that started doing the same thing after 2 months. I returned that and just bit the bullet and purchased a Mopar Refurb from RockAuto. Have not looked back sense. A good Idea while your there is to go ahead and replace the Belt, Idler Pulley, and Tensioner Pulley. Gates makes a kit they sell that contains all 3
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=504&jpid=0

Removing the Pulley is not so fun. Took 3 guys about 2 hours to get it off the old, and back on the new with a Pulley tool. Thats the most annoying part. Let me know if you have any questions. The second time around I did it in half the time.

Quick Reply: Sqealing noise