4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Differential Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 PM
5.7x28mm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: Changed the rear diff cover and re-did the gasket fairly easily. Since it's Saturday, I'm going to wait the whole the 24 hour cure-time for the gasket, even though I've read that it's probably not necessary.

Anyway, now I have a second stupid question, concerning the front axle diff cover: What do I do with the little hose connected to it? Does it dis-connect easily?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:52 PM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by 5.7x28mm

Anyway, now I have a second stupid question, concerning the front axle diff cover: What do I do with the little hose connected to it? Does it dis-connect easily?
Is it for the breather hose? I know that snakes up to the topside of the engine compartment.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is also the front axle "MODULE - AXLE DISCONNECT" wiring harness. I don't know if you have to disconnect that one.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:53 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I've been using the mobil 1 stuff and it seems to be doing well. The color stays clear not like the factory fill.
Mopar's 75W-140 synthetic gear oil (MS-8985) was being produced by Exxon Mobil. I believe they're still the producer. It's M1 with a Mopar logo and, in many locations, a substantially higher price tag.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:11 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional

UPDATE: Changed the rear diff cover and re-did the gasket fairly easily.
Assume from your 1st post that you've got a Mag-Hytec differential cover. What kinda shape was the o-ring in when you removed it? They're supposed to be reusable but I've not encountered any anecdotal evidence to support that.

The vent hose should pop right off. Might have to wiggle and pry a bit.

Cheers,

Keith

Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 AM
5.7x28mm
Professional

Originally Posted by CHILLYPOND
Assume from your 1st post that you've got a Mag-Hytec differential cover. What kinda shape was the o-ring in when you removed it? They're supposed to be reusable but I've not encountered any anecdotal evidence to support that.

The vent hose should pop right off. Might have to wiggle and pry a bit.

Cheers,

Keith
Actually, I have an AFE diff cover. I already put it on. I was wrong, however - some of their diff covers have o-rings, but the Chrysler 9.25 doesn't for some reason. The oil-level-sight-glass is pretty nice on the AFE, though - not real sure how useful it is, since I don't expect my gear oil level to change alot, but it's still kinda cool. I just used the black gasket-maker and put it on.

And yes, thanks for the help, I also did the front diff, and just replaced the stock cover - the breather hose slides off of the attachment - it just takes a little force to get off.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:55 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional

Actually, I have an AFE diff cover. I already put it on. I was wrong, however - some of their diff covers have o-rings, but the Chrysler 9.25 doesn't for some reason. The oil-level-sight-glass is pretty nice on the AFE, though - not real sure how useful it is, since I don't expect my gear oil level to change alot, but it's still kinda cool. I just used the black gasket-maker and put it on.
Roger that. Haven't had a reason to pull the Hytec cover but definitely curious about the condition of the o-ring. I suspect that after a couple or three yrs of service, it won't be so reusable and I'd be reluctant to even try.

Btw.. how much daylight do you have between the AFE cover and the track bar? The Mag-Hytec install is really tight but there have been no interference issues over the three yrs that the cover has been installed.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 AM
5.7x28mm
Professional

Originally Posted by CHILLYPOND
Btw.. how much daylight do you have between the AFE cover and the track bar? The Mag-Hytec install is really tight but there have been no interference issues over the three yrs that the cover has been installed.
Do you mean the panhard bar or the sway bar?

The panhard bar is close - probably about 1/2" away, but the fins on the AFE only start about 3/4 of the way up the diff cover - I think that maybe they were designed to avoid that bar, maybe?

As for the sway bar - I actually have a Hellwig aftermarket bar, and it has tons of room - probably 3" at least.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:50 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional

Do you mean the panhard bar or the sway bar?
Hmmm... brain farts again... track (panhard) bar was where I was going.

The panhard bar is close - probably about 1/2" away, but the fins on the AFE only start about 3/4 of the way up the diff cover - I think that maybe they were designed to avoid that bar, maybe?
About the same clearance with the Mag-Hytec. The producer cautions that some 9.25 installations may have clearance issues with sway bars but only elaborates to the extent that it becomes the owner's responsibility to ensure that all's clear. No surprise there.

Cheers,

Keith

Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 AM
polago
Amateur

How much rear end fluid is needed to fill the differential, I can't find any info on this. Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Change Questions