4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door Actuator Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:48 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door Actuator Failure

2009 CC 89,000 miles
Power lock failure of right rear door, most likely actuator failure. The plunger will move slowly, but only a short amount so it appears to be getting voltage.
I first noticed this problem when my remote start would beep once and not work indicating that the one of the doors was not shut. In this case, it was the inability of the door to lock.

I searched this forum and found no other threads. It was very common on the G3 series trucks. I had 3 of 4 fail on my 02QC.

Has anyone had this problem on their 2009 and newer Ram? I hope it is easier to replace than on the 3rd Gen Ram.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:31 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had one replaced on my 2009 1 month ago. Passenger rear door. dealership did it so can't help you on the level of difficulty however i'd be happy to send you the service manual instructions if you don't already have.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

jawsdc,
Thanks for the info. It seems funny that its the same door. I would love to have the instructions. How much was the labor and parts at your dealership?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never done it but I did at one time attempt a repair to the window not opening and closing properly. After I took the door panel off, I realized it was a big job and gave up.

I found instructions on another forum. Just google "gen 4 back door skin removal" and you will find it easily. For me it was the first hit. It has the factory instructions and pictures.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry Dr. Bill, Maxcare covered and they don't show the cost on the invoice. Looks like they spent 0.8 hrs on it.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Heminoob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I've never done it but I did at one time attempt a repair to the window not opening and closing properly. After I took the door panel off, I realized it was a big job and gave up.

I found instructions on another forum. Just google "gen 4 back door skin removal" and you will find it easily. For me it was the first hit. It has the factory instructions and pictures.
I know this is a 1 year old thread, but I am having the same problem with the right rear door on my 2011 Ram as well. Must be the same guy on the line making the same mistake over and over again...or planned?!?!

Anyway, I'm posting here so the google search info posted above is fresh in case anyopne else is having the same problem. Just gotta wait for it to stop snowing here in Calgary so I can tear my door apart and fix mine!

Old 04-14-2017, 10:18 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Good Info Heminoob,
I have no idea why the right rear door is the one that always goes bad.
I have seen the website that you mentioned. I still have not taken the time to tackle this complex repair.

The email link does a great job of keeping people informed of new posts even if the thread is years old. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 2010 and my driver's side rear door is doing the same.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:40 PM
johnboywalt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My back passenger side is bad as well.

Quick Reply: Door Actuator Failure