4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Randomly Unlocks Itself

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 02:03 PM
corona4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Randomly Unlocks Itself

I've been sleeping in the bed (with topper) of my '14 2500 Laramie while traveling around the SW over the past few months.

I typically lock the truck and leave the keys on the bedrail for easy access. (for the record, the backup FOB is at home....not nearby)

I've been woken up about a dozen times in the early hours of the morning by a loud thunk and all the lights coming up. Basically the truck unlocking itself, without anything being done on my end....as I'm asleep, and the FOB's on the bedrail nearby. The first couple times it happened I almost pooped myself because I thought someone was trying to break in and I'd have to defend against a GTA or burglary without any weapons, by myself, in the middle of the night on some forest service land.

Very strange. I haven't talked to the dealer yet, particularly because the one I go to would just claim they can't replicate it by leaving the key FOB nearby and watching it for 10 minutes.

Kind of disconcerting. Will it unlock itself randomly whenever it's in range, in front of my house/apt/friends house/restaurant...etc?

Any similar experiences/fixes, or known TSBs?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by corona4
I've been sleeping in the bed (with topper) of my '14 2500 Laramie while traveling around the SW over the past few months.

I typically lock the truck and leave the keys on the bedrail for easy access. (for the record, the backup FOB is at home....not nearby)

I've been woken up about a dozen times in the early hours of the morning by a loud thunk and all the lights coming up. Basically the truck unlocking itself, without anything being done on my end....as I'm asleep, and the FOB's on the bedrail nearby. The first couple times it happened I almost pooped myself because I thought someone was trying to break in and I'd have to defend against a GTA or burglary without any weapons, by myself, in the middle of the night on some forest service land.

Very strange. I haven't talked to the dealer yet, particularly because the one I go to would just claim they can't replicate it by leaving the key FOB nearby and watching it for 10 minutes.

Kind of disconcerting. Will it unlock itself randomly whenever it's in range, in front of my house/apt/friends house/restaurant...etc?

Any similar experiences/fixes, or known TSBs?
I was unable to find a TSB related to your concern. When does this unlocking of the vehicle typically occur? How often does it occur? If you’d like to look through the owner’s manual, please visit http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/. I also recommend acquiring a proper diagnosis from your local certified FCA dealer. Thanks! – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 04-18-2016, 12:34 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

Grimlins .

Old 04-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you may want to try removing the battery from the FOB and repeating the scenario where it unlocks itself. At least this way you will now if it's the truck or the fob sending out signals. My guess is that the FOB is the reason or you would be having the issue all of the time, not just camping. You may also want to try it with the other FOB.
If the FOB is the cause, you should be able to get a new one under warranty.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:19 AM
gerry92
Professional

Just heard of this issue. Better if you can note if this occur at a particular time of the day.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:02 AM
iskybantilus
Professional

I am signing up for any updates or responses. my one key fob will randomly unlock the doors, and a lot more then once a day. I simply leave it in the house as my backup, but when I have had to use it cannot rely on the truck staying locked. I did try changing the battery, no apparent change. changing the battery in my now primary remote did help increase the range a bit, I guess it was due after 6.5 years.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 AM
corona4

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
I was unable to find a TSB related to your concern. When does this unlocking of the vehicle typically occur? How often does it occur? If you’d like to look through the owner’s manual, please visit http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/. I also recommend acquiring a proper diagnosis from your local certified FCA dealer. Thanks! – Kevin T, Social Connect Team
Thanks. I'll have to swap out my FOBs at some point to see if it keeps doing it. The other ones unfortunately in storage in another state right now.

I'm fairly certain it's the cause, as thinking back I don't believe I've ever come out to an unknowingly unlocked truck. But I don't think that necessarily means I'm safe, as I could always go into a restaurant/gas station/my house and still be in range of the FOB being able to unlock it without me noticing.

To answer some other questions....time of day doesn't seem to matter. It's happened any time, though obviously most noticeable at night when it wakes me up and turns the lights on. Also, time since inactivity doesn't matter either (it's not X amount of hours since turning off the truck or X amount of hours since locking the truck.....sometimes it's 9 at night, sometimes its 2am, sometimes its both) I've never had it happen while driving, or with the truck running though.

It just happened like 3 times within the past hour or so, and it also happens to be raining out. Maybe a moisture factor? It also re-locked itself too, without me doing anything.

edit: make that 4 times, just after I posted this. now it's getting really annoying.

edit2: then re-locked itself a minute later

edit3: then unlocked itself again two minutes later......and locked itself 30 seconds after that.

at this rate i gotta take the battery out or it's gonna keep me up all night.

Last edited by corona4; 04-29-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:30 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by corona4
Thanks. I'll have to swap out my FOBs at some point to see if it keeps doing it. The other ones unfortunately in storage in another state right now.

I'm fairly certain it's the cause, as thinking back I don't believe I've ever come out to an unknowingly unlocked truck. But I don't think that necessarily means I'm safe, as I could always go into a restaurant/gas station/my house and still be in range of the FOB being able to unlock it without me noticing.

To answer some other questions....time of day doesn't seem to matter. It's happened any time, though obviously most noticeable at night when it wakes me up and turns the lights on. Also, time since inactivity doesn't matter either (it's not X amount of hours since turning off the truck or X amount of hours since locking the truck.....sometimes it's 9 at night, sometimes its 2am, sometimes its both) I've never had it happen while driving, or with the truck running though.

It just happened like 3 times within the past hour or so, and it also happens to be raining out. Maybe a moisture factor? It also re-locked itself too, without me doing anything.

edit: make that 4 times, just after I posted this. now it's getting really annoying.

edit2: then re-locked itself a minute later

edit3: then unlocked itself again two minutes later......and locked itself 30 seconds after that.

at this rate i gotta take the battery out or it's gonna keep me up all night.
Thanks for the follow-up. I’d recommend getting a proper diagnosis from a local certified FCA dealer. Let me know if you need assistance establishing an appointment. Thanks! – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 PM
wilest56

My '14 Laramie will unlock when I am washing it, if I have the fob in my pocket, and spray water on the door above the handle.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 AM
SeanTG84
Rookie

I agree with others, definitely check your FOB and I'm talking beyond the batteries. On the 2010 Ram I owned, I was having the same thing happen; periodically throughout the day, my truck would randomly unlock itself. After pretty extensive research, I found out that the "contact plates" inside the FOBs that allow the buttons to work start coming unglued and therefore making constant contact with the electrical board of the FOB. Open it up and see what kind of shape those are in. If they are still attached, clean them up real good. Sometimes the black coating of the "contact plates," which is put on them cuz its highly conductive, starts wearing off causing the issue as well.

I ended up getting new FOBs for that 2010 and paying an arm and a leg for it. In retrospect, I should have just clean the "contact plates" and re-glued them onto the rubber button surface and saved a lot of money... Good luck.

Quick Reply: Truck Randomly Unlocks Itself