4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rocking-tilting side to side?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:48 PM
Elex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocking-tilting side to side?

I have a nicely equipped 2016 RAM 1500 5.7L, 8 speed Laramie, which overall I really enjoy. It's a great personal truck ride, as well as a fine RV tow vehicle.

However, I am a little bothered by the side to side "rocking" which is probably agravated by the truck height associated with the 20" tires (and not only when towing).

I'm not really adressing anti-sway as the truck doesn't sway much when towing my anti-sway bar equipped, load equalized 28' TT.

The rocking I'm refering to is felt mostly when diagonally pulling into a drive that has a different elevation than the road. Or, often when driving down a road that many semi's have caused ruts in the roadway.

I understand the factory provided sway bars are generally quite good and seldom need aftermarket modifications. Not sure they are effective or designed for the rocking I feel.

Are there any aftermarket kits that can be installed to help minimize this "rocking" left and right? Maybe would air bag boosters help on the back axle?

Old 10-24-2016, 09:01 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Greetings. All trucks I've ever rode in have some "rock" to them, if I understand you correctly. Ford, GMC/Chevrolet, Ram, etc. The smaller the truck/SUV, the less rocking.

Is it a 4x4? If so, the front sway bar is more than adequate in the higher trim levels (Laramie and up I've read). There are a few different sway bar part #s, but in the higher trims, its usually either 34.5 mm or 36.5 mm bar (in the lower trims, it may be a 32mm bar). Both the 34.5 and 36.5 are adequate enough that you really can't find an aftermarket sway bar for the front.

The rear is a different story. The lower trim levels may not come with one at all, and even the high trim levels (Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, etc.) come only with a small, hollow unit. For about $195-$205, you can buy a larger, solid unit made by Hellwig. Its even adjustable with three different bolt-holes on each side, so you can adjust the sway (or lack thereof) to your liking.

If you firm up the coil springs with air bags, you'll loose some of the rocking I think you're referring to, but you'll also loose a lot of your nice ride.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Elex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your replying. It is a 4x4. It has a 7/8" (22mm) bar on it now. Is there a way to tell if the rear bar is hollow or solid? I don't see a larger one on the Hellwig website. They list only a 7/8".