4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No bus message, truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:28 AM
NWDODGEGUY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No bus message, truck won't start

2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.7 4x4. 102,000 miles. Need desperately to figure this problem out.
Left for work, truck in 4 wheel drive with defrost on. Defrost started to surge a few times, went a little further and then all the dash lights came on with "no bus" message. it ran a few minutes longer and then completely shut down. Ignition would come on, but nothing when the key was turned on. Towed to the dealer. Dealer has replaced the TIPM and ignition switch. truck has started like nothing is wrong, but then turned on and nothing. Dealer suspects TIPM is bad and trying another. Defroster slow to change over prior to that. Wondering if it has anything to do with it.

Any ideas anybody please?

Old 12-18-2016, 03:32 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the vehicle uses CAN bus communication. these systems use a 2 wire communication circuit. a bad module, wiring open, wiring short to power or short to grd will bring down the entire bus causing the symptoms you have.

dealer techs are trained to measure power and grd to the non-communicating modules, the can bus voltages and terminating resistance to help locate the fault. without being there and doing the tests and seeing the topology...not much one can offer.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:54 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dreaded NO BUS...

I had a perfectly running, clean, 2001 Dodge 2500 van, that was lost due to a NO BUS message this past summer... at $100/hr at a dealership, which is the only place that has the proper diagnostic computer to troubleshoot this problem... well after 2 hours the Dodge mechanic shrugged his shoulders and wanted to replace the computer for $1000... the part needed to be ordered. At that point the van was running again as the NO BUS was intermittant so I said no thanks. I ordered aftermarket part for $300 but that did not fix the problem and the intermittent part became more like full time over the course of the next couple of months. I checked wiring, and replaced cheap parts that might have been a source of the problem, all in a vain attempt to fix it myself... NO LUCK... I wound up scrapping the van and getting a 2014 RAM 1500...

this is NOT a "Oh it is that part" kind of fix... requires some diligent effort and time on the part of the diagnostician... and at $100/hr you have to ask yourself how much money are you willing to gamble on possibly a very expensive fix... GOOD LUCK! NO BUS problems litter the Chrysler/Dodge landscape for the last 15 years...

Last edited by rsdata; 12-18-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:01 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the newer configurations easier to diagnose. The starting point is to measure the CAN + and CAN - circuit voltages at the dlc when the fault is active.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 PM
NWDODGEGUY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will find out on Tuesday. He is going to put a new TIPM in.

Here is where I need some advice. The truck is in excellent condition and worth between $ 10,000 to $ 12000 dollars. I will find it very hard to write that off, so what shall I do with it?

Anyone??