4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recirculation button illuminates and will not stay on

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:16 PM
W Kelley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recirculation button illuminates and will not stay on

I recently purchased a used 2011 Ram 1500 quad cab premium sport. On a recent trip the recirculation button lights but will not stay lit indicating it is not in recirculation mode. I watched youtube videos indicating clicking acuators, I have no clicking noise, I watched videos on replacing broken blending doors, not sure. Before I tear into this, get knee deep in parts, risking breaking a tab or developing a rattle, is there anyone out there that had a recirc button not stay lit with no associated clicking noise or heating/cooling problems? It seems to be heating and cooling okay, just can't keep out the stink of the road ..... forest fires, chemical tanker explosions, junkers with catalytic converters removed, diesel smoking semi tractors, honey wagons hauling liquefied manure, etc :-) I'd appreciate a pointer in the correct direction before beginning disassembly of the dash.. THANKS!

Old 12-18-2016, 05:01 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ask the dealer if there is an HVAC update that hasn't been done. You'll have to actually go there.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:32 AM
W Kelley

Seems like a good place to start. Thanks!

Old 12-24-2016, 03:08 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I noticed on MY truck, if the ac control is not in vent mode, the recirculate will flash and go dark. It WILL stay on if I select VENT/FACE

Old 12-25-2016, 11:59 AM
W Kelley

Thank You! That is exactly what is was. If I put the ventilation on feet, feet/mid level the recirculation button does work. If the ventilation mode is in any of the windshield 'defrost' modes the recirculation does not work. Hmmmm .... kinda strange.

Then again I read in the owner's manual if the battery in the truck goes dead the key fob is locked into the 'key hole' and cannot be removed until the truck battery is charged. I also found this strange too but it would lead to broken fobs and my dealership wants $280.00 for a new fob, new key and programming, this includes sales tax. I bought my truck used, it only came with one fob, the previous owner said the other was damaged and he threw it away [probably a dead battery]. I bought a new fob with blank key off Amazon for $16 and paid the dealership $60 to program the new fob. Still, it's strange the fob needs to be locked in place with a dead battery.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:06 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by W Kelley
Thank You! That is exactly what is was. If I put the ventilation on feet, feet/mid level the recirculation button does work. If the ventilation mode is in any of the windshield 'defrost' modes the recirculation does not work. Hmmmm .... kinda strange.

Then again I read in the owner's manual if the battery in the truck goes dead the key fob is locked into the 'key hole' and cannot be removed until the truck battery is charged. I also found this strange too but it would lead to broken fobs and my dealership wants $280.00 for a new fob, new key and programming, this includes sales tax. I bought my truck used, it only came with one fob, the previous owner said the other was damaged and he threw it away [probably a dead battery]. I bought a new fob with blank key off Amazon for $16 and paid the dealership $60 to program the new fob. Still, it's strange the fob needs to be locked in place with a dead battery.

The shift interlock release is electrically operated by a control module. Anything usually less than 9 volts, it won't operate.

Much of these safeguards are put in place because of stupid people, obviously not US, but you would be shocked at the dumb things people do in cars.... then sue the auto industry for BILLONS every year. Equate it to the Hot Coffee at the Drive Thru window scenario.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-26-2016 at 11:09 AM.