4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CHMSL/Cargo lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:50 PM
CC61821
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHMSL/Cargo lights not working

Hello,

The 3rd brake light (CHMSL) on my 2014 Ram 1500 is not working, nor is my cargo lamps. I have replaced all 3 bulbs, and nothing. The brake lights on the rear of the truck work fine, and when I press the button to turn on the cargo lights, the indicator in the dash lights up as if they are on, but nothing. I have scoured through the power distribution center under the hood, and cannot find any fuse that says anything remotely close to CHMSL or cargo lamps, so have no idea which fuse it may be.

Any ideas?

Old 02-18-2017, 06:55 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

CHMSL is a direct output from the BCM. There is no dedicated fuse. Check your sockets, you may have some water intrusion. Also get a test light to check for power.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:30 AM
CC61821

Originally Posted by TNtech
CHMSL is a direct output from the BCM. There is no dedicated fuse. Check your sockets, you may have some water intrusion. Also get a test light to check for power.
Thank you - when I removed the light assembly from the rear of the cab to check the bulbs, the brake light bulb glass had been broken and the filament exposed, so that's why I suspected a fuse. All 3 bulbs have been replaced and still nothing, so I'll use my test light to check the plug for power. If none, what is next step?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:00 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CC61821
Thank you - when I removed the light assembly from the rear of the cab to check the bulbs, the brake light bulb glass had been broken and the filament exposed, so that's why I suspected a fuse. All 3 bulbs have been replaced and still nothing, so I'll use my test light to check the plug for power. If none, what is next step?

BCM driver could have been overloaded from a shorted filament. The broken bulb still could have been caused by water getting in it.

That lamp assembly needs to be resealed when you go back together or it WILL leak water.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:02 PM
patrickcross

Did you get this repaired? I am having the same problem (2012 Ram 1500, did have water getting in, always wet underneath the passenger side of the rear seat). All other lights operate but the 3rd brake light and cargo light do not.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:40 AM
nfjudhfbbfbnf
Default Any repair to this?

Originally Posted by patrickcross
Did you get this repaired? I am having the same problem (2012 Ram 1500, did have water getting in, always wet underneath the passenger side of the rear seat). All other lights operate but the 3rd brake light and cargo light do not.
same problem I am having. Any repair to this?

Old 12-02-2021, 12:57 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nfjudhfbbfbnf
Any repair to this?
Welcome to the forum! Are you asking about a repair for the lights not working, a repair for the water intrusion, or both?

I fixed the seal on mine with some adhesive-backed closed cell foam weather strip sealant for home use. My local Menards (hardware store) had some that was the same width as what FCA used and the closed cell foam shouldn't act like a sponge. It's been about 3 years and no more leak. As for the bulbs not lighting, have you checked the connector to the assembly for power using a test light?

-Rod