4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pinging issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:57 AM
asmodeus289
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinging issue

Hello everyone,
I’m hoping someone can help me diagnose a pinging problem. When I’m driving and I start going up a hill my truck with start losing momentum which is normal. What’s not normal is as it’s losing speed, the engine will start pinging until I jab the throttle to make the transmission drop down a gear. This same thing happens on flat ground too. I’ll slow down for traffic and then need to get back up to speed and it will ping/knock unless is jab the throttle. It’s been doing this for months now. And it’s not always consistent. Sometimes it works like it should and sometime it doesn’t. Also, when it's doing this, the throttle seems a bit sluggish.

I’m leaning towards it being the accelerator pedal assembly. But I’d rather not start throwing money at it hoping I find the cause.

Truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. Only mods are a Mopar CAI and the Bully Dog with the 89 tune.

Thanks

Last edited by asmodeus289; 09-17-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Bill C

Pinging issues I have had with any vehicle in past was always due to carbon build up or low octane. With your tune, try running 91 octane or better, run a can or 2 or redline S1 or 2 lube guard fuel system cleaners, or any PEA based cleaner. Both cleaners need 1 oz per gallon to be effective, so normally takes 2. Spark plugs, maybe, but I would think it's pre detonation from carbon/ low octane. I am new to hemi's, but my old 5.7 Camaro pinged bad, hills, in tunnel could hear, I ran a can of seafoam to clean up piston top, solved issue. You cold try going back to stock tune, it would let you know if it is a octane issue also. Also lugging(sp?) Engine will cause ping. Pinging is not good, can burn holes in pistons. Also, pinging sounds like marbles clanking in engine, if tick, also check exhaust manifolds for broken bolts, is common on these trucks.

Last edited by Bill C; 07-10-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 PM
asmodeus289
Professional

Wow. I forgot I wrote this.

I ended up removing the 89 tune and went stock for a couple weeks. The pinging went away but the occasional crappy throttle response was still there. About a week ago I installed the 92 tune and now use 91 octane gas. The pinging is gone. But the throttle response goes from good to crappy all the time. I'm still not sure if it's an Accelerator pedal issue, a throttle body issue, or something else entirely.

Last edited by asmodeus289; 09-17-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Jeff Bell
Default pinging

i had the same issue with the bullydog programmer on my 2010 ram 1500 5.7 with 91 and 93 octane. i installed the stock tune after trying both the 91 and regular tune and the pinging went away but the throttle response went back to normal. delayed.
i tried a pedal commander ($400 CAD) and found the throttle response was to twitchy on most settings so i installed it on my wifes 1500 ecodiesel. woke it up.
havent gone back to another tune yet.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 PM
asmodeus289
Professional

Just an update.

I removed the Bully Dog tunes, bought the Pedal Commander and installed the Hypertech wiring harness I had laying around. Throttle response is much better (set at City +2). I'm now averaging 17 mpg which is 1 mpg better. I'm going to sell the Bully Dog tuner and pillar mount. Since they are useless to me.