4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing upper and lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 01:45 PM
roacheg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing upper and lower ball joints

Hi All: My name is Greg and i own a 2010 ram 1500 sport 4x4 quad cab with a 5.7 hemi. Im at 200,000 km and i have two bad ball joints so im going to replace them all plus tie rods while im at it. Some people are saying i may have to change the a arm as will.
So my question is can i press out the upper and lower ball joints in a aluminum A Arm and press in new ones.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:53 PM
JINXR
Rookie

I did it a year ago on my 09. You can't just change the joints, you have to replace the entire arms. Definitely replace the tie rods when you get in there. I went aftermarket. Precision Control uppers from O'Reilly and MOOG lowers from RockAuto. They both have Lifetime warranties, which is good because I have a knock that just started from one of them on my driver's side.

Shouldn't be too difficult if you're not lifted. I have the Bilstein lift struts so it makes it a little harder

Make sure you come back after 100 miles or less and retorque everything. I was surprised how much some stuff had loosened up on mine.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:18 PM
JINXR
Rookie

Oh and make sure the parts match up. Somehow they gave me the same side upper arms and I didn't notice it. Alignment guy called me and said there was no way to get it aligned. Luckily figured out the problem pretty quick and I had to swap it out real quick so they could redo the alignment at no cost.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 AM
roacheg

Thanks, JINXR

Old 04-16-2018, 01:59 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You should be able to buy just the ball joints, press the old ones out, and press new ones in. However, depending on how much corrosion your truck may have, it could be very difficult to get the old parts out. Depending on how much value you put on your time it might be less expensive to just get new control arms with the ball joints already installed.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Replacing upper and lower ball joints