4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for some jnfo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:51 PM
Joshua James
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some jnfo.

I have a 2012 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi. The HVAC system I assume has a leak on the cab side of the firewall. I believe this to be so because when I pressurize the line with new freon my cab fills with the freon. Any suggestions on what to do or how to trouble shoot this issue. Should j replace all HVAC parts if the dash needs to be removed to repair? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If the factory, or a prior, fill had dye in the system you should be able to find the origination point of the leak with a UV light. Unfortunately that still involves removing much the entire dash. If the leak was small enough you could also check for signs of oil since where the leak is should have an oil and probably captured dust trail. Of course if the leak is too large there could be a lot of dye and/or oil coating many surfaces.

FWIW, since the leak is apparently pretty large if the R-134a is leaking as quickly as you are putting it in, the system was probably pretty close to empty when you started. You probably need more oil in the system and you really should evacuate the system to get moisture out of it, otherwise you're likely not going to have a properly functioning system anyway. Also, during the evacuation process you would have noticed there is a leak preventing you from drawing a vacuum rather than wasting a few cans of refrigerant.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Looking for some jnfo.