4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Issue - Wire Harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 PM
SeanTG84
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Issue - Wire Harness

Hey all, I haven't been on here in awhile, but I would say that's more of a tribute to the awesomeness and reliability of our trucks. As of right now, I am putting on approx. 750-1000 miles per week for work and I've had very few issues. Actually the truck makes my drives much more enjoyable. Knock on wood, but I even had my mechanic comment on how good things looked when he replaced the serpentine belt and flushed the coolant system.

While I am extremely happy with my '11 RAM Sport, an issue did just show it's face and I am curious how common it is; The driver's side headlight sporadically goes out and it's not the bulb. After taking everything apart to replace the bulb, it appears the bulb still works, but the wire harness is actually causing the issue. Shake the harness and the light comes back on. This has now happened with my driver's side light on both my current truck as well as my previous 2010 RAM Big Horn - albeit much more frequently on my '10 RAM. Have any of you had this issue as well? If so, how have you gone about fixing it - just replaced the wire harness by splicing a new one in?

I took my 2010 to the dealer and they hosed me out of $250 without properly fixing the issue and then claiming it was "out of warranty" when I brought it back in for the same issue 2 weeks later. Won't be going there again.

Anyway, thanks for the help in advance! Hope everyone is enjoying their trucks as much as I am!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad had this exact issue with his 2012. Turned out to be just a loose connection on the headlight socket. Wires do not generally go "bad" in the middle of a harness. Unless someone drills though them.... The connection points get all the corrosion and play so they fail first. It may even look good but it's not.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 AM
BigChief127
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same exact issue on my '12 Ram Sport. Finally gave in and took it to the dealership and they replaced the harness. They told me that there was corrosion and it was creating a bad connection. They said that this is a common problem with that year. Looks like the issue expands beyond just the '12's. Haven't had an issue with the headlight since.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen some youtube videos of guys running jumper wires to the big junction box (TPIM box?) due to bad connections on the circuit board. when you wiggle the harness, you're probably wiggling those bad joints. There is also videos of taking the thing apart & re-soldering them.

Quick Reply: Headlight Issue - Wire Harness