4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018 | 11:25 PM
Dwight02
|
Default 2012 Dodge Ram 1500

My Dodge Ram has a 4.7 engine if I get in a little mud at work the engine just flutters and goes to a idle tries to rev up but won't no matter how hard I mash the gas pedal no warning lights and no codes on the highway runs good if I mash the pedal and kick in passing gear it will take off can anyone help.

Old 07-20-2018 | 07:56 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

I'm not sure I understand the scenario when there is an issue. What do you mean by, "get in a little mud at work"? Do you mean if you try to drive through an inch or two thick layer of mud the engine speed slows way down?

Does it run rough when it does this, or "idles" smoothly just like if it started and still in Park? How do you get out of the mud if it's basically at idle speed and the engine refuses to increase with throttle input?

-Rod

Old 07-20-2018 | 11:54 AM
Dwight02
|

Yes I got stuck I could pull forward and then back up to work myself out and no power motor flutters and just idles down when idling down or on the highway motor runs good iveI never seen anything like that

Old 07-20-2018 | 01:56 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

Have you had any rain since this started happening to see if just high humidity or water on the roads will also cause the issue? It seems like it almost has to be related to moisture versus being under load. A moisture issue could be due to moisture in a connector, in one or more spark plug wells, or a wire with damaged insulation.

If this has only happened one time though, maybe someone set the parking brake and you didn't notice to release it, or maybe the issue is only when in 4WD (if your truck has 4WD), etc.

-Rod

Old 07-24-2018 | 09:24 AM
Duso02
Captain

Is there a difference with traction control on or off?

Old 06-09-2021 | 06:34 AM
DirkFA22

Sounds like they've set the idle too low on your computer program as well and when it tries to regain power it doesn't because it's gone too low so if you can reset all the values on the ram and ask the company for a version of software that has the proper idle control Target you can also replace your map sensor your PCV and your vacuum sensor on the brake vacuum booster when you reset the ram your value should bring back on the vacuum all the way and when they changed the version of software you'll have a perfectly running good truck

Quick Reply: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500