4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Control arm replacement question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 05:13 AM
Armynational
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arm replacement question?

I'm replacing both lower control arms on my 2011 ram 4x4. Do I have to remove the brake caliper in order to get the lower ball joint to clear when pulling it out? Or can I leave it in tact? I'm not trying to screw with my brakes at all. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

yes...remove the 2 large bracket bolts and slide the caliper and bracket off as an assembly. hang the assembly with a strap or wire so the flex line isn't stressed.

if your in the rust belt...the lca eccentric bolts and lower strut to lca bolts may be hard to remove. put the truck on jackstands, loosen off the bolts and see how then turn and if they will slide fore and aft. if they are seized to the bushing...you better have access to a torch or plasma cutter....or send it to a shop.

Quick Reply: Control arm replacement question?