4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID projector retrofit. How do I power high beam solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Starchybunker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID projector retrofit. How do I power high beam solenoids?

I'm working on an HID projector retrofit on my 2009 ram 1500 with quad headlights. I'm using a Morimoto HD relay with the capacitor link for Canbus systems. It looks like our trucks use one, three wire plug going into the headlight housing that powers high and low beam. The Morimoto harness only outputs low beam so I have to find a way to tap into the high beam signal to activate the high beam solenoid. Do I just tap into the high beam wire on the factory headlight output before it goes into the HD relay? Will the on/off Canbus power be an issue when high beam is on?

Old 05-08-2019, 06:35 PM
Starchybunker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved.

Turns out the HID harness gets its "on" signal directly from the plug that would have connected to the low beam bulb, rather than the plug that connects to the headlight housing, powering both high and low beam. So the oem high beam is still functional and I can tap into that for the HID high beam solenoid. Mod please delete.

Quick Reply: HID projector retrofit. How do I power high beam solenoids?