4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

8.4 radio 2014 RAM error screen / problem

Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 8.4 radio 2014 RAM error screen / problem

2014 RAM 1500 Big Horn model, 8.4 screen Navigation not bought

GPS module going out

I noticed this warning 5-6 weeks ago...

Vehicle Phone Requires service.
Please contact your dealer. Upper left corner of screen says 9-1-1

About 5-6 weeks ago, this error appeared randomly while driving for a few seconds, then would disappear without me doing anything. At the time I thought it was some sort of an update that caused it, as I had my RAM into dealer for header bolt problem a couple of weeks before that.

About a month ago, mid-June after first AC necessary day of the season, after RAM sitting overnight, the radio did not turn on immediately on startup like it always did before and the LED's that light up on the console below the screen if you push AC, or Recirculate would not turn on. I also sniffed a whiff of smoke. Opened the hood to check fuses, and then I stuck my head inside and the radio was working along with the LED lights indicating the AC was on. I drove off...

Over the next 3 weeks, about 30% of the time the radio screen and AC LEDs would work fine right after startup, but 70% of the time it would take 1 to 3 minutes for the 8.4 radio screen to fire up. After it did then everything, radio, AC controls worked fine for the duration of the drive.

Two weeks ago I took off the glove box and sniffed for a whiff of smoke... nothing. Looking at youtube videos I was convinced that it might be the HVAC module on the right door jamb since it harnessed to the radio and the HVAC controls. I ordered and installed a new updated part# for that HVAC, but nothing changed.

Now I put these two incidents together, the ERROR MSG onscreen and my delayed radio startup response together... and I did notice that the compass headings (which I only noticed when drivng due SOUTH on the interstate), would sometimes be off as far as indicated direction... then would correct themsleves for a few minutes, then go haywire (usually off by 180 degrees) again.

I started to look at repair or replacement of the 8.4 uconnect and I found NAVREPAIR dot COM

After more research and calling navrepair dot com it appears there is a commom failure with these radios with or without the nav feature activated. Mine is NOT activated, but David at navrepair said that the error msg with the 9-1-1 in the upper left corner is indicitive of the GPS module failing PLUS the compass would be off by 180 degrees, intermittantly, which is also an indicator that this GPS feature is out and needs to be repaired, because a satalitte fix was unavailable.Complete info about this can be found at this page...
https://navrepair.com/collections/r....reless-failure

I sent my radio off to them yesterday am and I will pay the $300 plus shipping.

I will report back in a week and hopefully have good news that my 8.4 radio problems are solved..

Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Did you intend to post this in the FAQ/DIY/How-To section?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 PM
rsdata
Captain

Certainly move it if it fits better somewhere else, but I did to intend to follow up in a week when my 8.4 radio is returned to me hopefully fixed...

I figured that would be a DIY fix for a bad radio

Old 07-25-2019, 02:44 PM
rsdata
Captain

Today, one week after I sent my 8.4 radio to navrepair dot com, I got it back ($299) charge plus shipping two ways. Plugged it in and the radio turns on immediately, as it always had until it broke. As I mentioned in thread starter the radio was intermittantly givng me a 9-1-1 error msg with instructions to take to dealer for service. And my compass headings were screwed up. The radio and HVAC controls on dash would take from 1 to 3 + minutes to come on after starting RAM. Then everything worked as it should except for random error msg and compass headings. I was told by navrepair tech, that even though I had not paid for the NAV service, there was still a NAV device in the 8.4 radio that was not turned on yet still gave me the compass functionality.That module was not working giving me the problems I described earlier.

I hope this helps someone...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 8.4 radio 2014 RAM error screen / problem